FCP X Still Image Duration Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by surfmadison, Oct 9, 2014.

1. surfmadison macrumors member

Under Preferences >> Editing there is an option to change the Still Image editing duration. It allows anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. (Liked the older version better because I could set my still images to a longer time). Anyway, I use 10 seconds, which means when I add a solid image from Generators >> Solid it should add the solid image for 10 seconds. Which it has done in the past.

However, today, when I add a solid it is adding it at 10 seconds and 1 frame. What I do is add a solid black image on top of my video so I can place a power point slide on top of that. That way the slide is on a black background instead of having the video as a background. I export my Power Points as Pictures and then Import the media into FCPX. Next I change both the solid and slide durations to what I need them to be.

This has worked fine since FCPX came out, and I have gone back to check to make sure this didn't happen in the past. It didn't, and I do this all the time (edit hundreds of hours of video a year).

Anyone have a clue why it suddenly went from 10 seconds to 10 seconds and 1 frame? And better yet, how to fix it. I can easily change the duration, but it adds an extra step, which wastes extra time. When you have to do this hundreds of times it adds up.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Check your frame rates?

Is the Motion plug-in set to 30 fps or?

Im just throwing options at you here :)

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Why not copy the 10 second generator into your clipboard and paste it in as needed? Or option drag?

FWIW it just gave me a 10:01 black generator when I tested it in my 25p project.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Okay wait, would it be the 25 fps to 24 fps difference causing this?

Again just throwing ideas out :)

5. surfmadison thread starter macrumors member

FCP X Still Image Duration Issue

You know, it could be a frame rate issue. This video clip did come from a different source then normal.

However, one would think that the system would know 10 seconds is 10 seconds and not 10 seconds and 1 frame. And why would it come do the same to someone else?

Good idea on the copy and paste method. Thanks for the clues.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My 25p project was using 25p footage in it, so it wasn't a frame rate difference issue.

7. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Yay. Another annoying bug.

How about this idea as a workaround:

1. Add the solid generator to your timeline.

2. Set the duration to 10 seconds (Ctrl-D then type in 1000 and press enter)

3. Make that generator into a Compound Clip (Option-G) which will add it to your library with a name you select.

4. Insert the clip from your library wherever you need it. OR just copy and paste it wherever you need it.