FCP5 & iMovies6: Unexpectedly Quits on Export

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by palecapulet, Feb 25, 2009.

1. palecapulet macrumors newbie

I have a Powermac G5. OS 10.4.11
    2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

This is regarding to FCP 5.0 & iMovies 6.0.3 exporting for internet streaming.

I want to export a MPEG4. Tell me if you need to know what setting i'm exporting on.
    The projects that I'm having trouble with are around 3 or 4 minutes long. It unexpectedly quits when exporting is half way done.
    If I export only video, it allows. If I export only audio, it works. (exporting as quicktime files and MPEG4)
    Exporting on the same MPEG4 settings sometimes work on 1 minute projects, and 6-7 minute projects.

What I've tried before trying again:
    Restarting the computer, bringing all files that are involved with the project off of the external drive onto the desktop, disconnecting all external drives, and attempting to reinstall FCP. But I dont' know how to do that. Deleting the FCP and reinstalling didn't do anything.

Please Help.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

A shot in the dark...

The times I've had this issue, I changed the video data rate in the video export settings. I've never had the problem with the same content in more than one application, so I'd say that is odd.

It doesn't sound like a permission problem because it is writing the file for some time before bombing out. Are you short on disk space.

3. palecapulet thread starter macrumors newbie

4. xStep macrumors 68000

2000 seems reasonably high, but try playing with the number anyway. I don't know that is the problem. I can only relate my own experience.

I too have some guides. I recently updated my YouTube guide.

5. palecapulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you suh.

Exporting below 2000 did the trick. And I can't tell the difference between 1000 and 2000 for data rate. Can you tell me what this is?

6. xStep macrumors 68000

Search both of my video guides I linked to for 'data rate'. They should do for the basic idea.

The short of it is, the lower the number, the lower the quality of the picture, but the smaller the file. When you stop noticing the difference between two data rates, you have hit the diminishing returns barrier.

To see the difference go see a video here at http://www.youtube.com/fl80s and notice the text at the bottom left. Now Click on the "watch in high quality" link to the lower right of the video and watch for that same text. Notice how sharp the text is now. It is not only the text that is sharper.