Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
i select my destination as my RAID 0 setup but when I look at the activity monitor, nothing is being written there, it is writting to my OS drive.
What gives? :confused:

running 10.6.3 and FCP 7 & compressor 3.5
while I am at it, is there a reason that compressor is only using "200%" of my CPU power?
I have a quad core

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
come on...

I just want to know how to make sure that compressor is using 100% of the CPU, cause right now it looks like I am only using about 70% of the juice I have.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Did you use a QuickCluster? If so, what path is set under cluster storage location in the Qmaster prefs? Also, things are always being written to your OS drive, simply because it is your OS drive. Video encoding apps don't write data all that fast, it takes far longer to encode the video than to write out what's already been done. What numbers were you seeing for read and write?

Also, where is Activity Monitor giving you an I/O breakdown by device? Mine doesn't indicate any specific disk under "Disk Activity"

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Now I am just comfused

Did you use a QuickCluster? If so, what path is set under cluster storage location in the Qmaster prefs? Also, things are always being written to your OS drive, simply because it is your OS drive. Video encoding apps don't write data all that fast, it takes far longer to encode the video than to write out what's already been done. What numbers were you seeing for read and write?

Also, where is Activity Monitor giving you an I/O breakdown by device? Mine doesn't indicate any specific disk under "Disk Activity"

what I/O?
under activity monitor and DISK usage I see that the free hard drive space is declining. But then it goes back once the completes file is copied over.

Then I remembered quick cluster... this is where things go buggy. I have a 4 x 500gig RAID 0 set up that I set up in the qmaster prefs for the cluster. I tried the quickcluster vs my computer to covert some 60i footage from my HV30 into 24p and here are the results:

quickcluster elapsed time: 4:30
my computer : 2:30

the cluster uses more CPU juice but took way longer. what gives?

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
update

Just as an update.

When in Qmaster in the prefs pane, I thought that since I had a quad core to select 4 instances but after doing some homework you are supposed to do 1 instance for every two cores. So once I switched it to 2 cores, it ripped things up but again, quickclusters seem to work best for HUGE jobs as opposed to something that normally takes 5-10 minutes.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
What about SSD

I am giving this a bump because I want to get an SSD drive but if FCP and Compressor are going to write to it rather than the RAID 0 drive I have, then I have to seriously reconsider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.