FCP7 MacBook Pro 15" 2010. New to FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jwheeler, Sep 15, 2010.

1. jwheeler macrumors regular

Hi All,

Whats the deal with rendering to playback. Footage from my iPhone 4 ain't too slow, but it still takes time. I ended up spending 15 hours on a 15 min film. Is that normal?

3 years ago when I was using Windows and Adobe Premiere it was quicker because of no rendering.

On iMovie it takes no time at all.

I'm new to FCP, am I doing something completely wrong?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG-4 (H264) is not an editing codec, thus a transcoding to .mov using the ProRes codec is advised.

The Manual (PDF or that other form) will tell you more.

Btw, iMovie probably transcodes the video to something less CPU intensive, but FCP does not transcode any imported video, unless you use the Log & Transfer window or the video is in the timeline and needs to be rendered.

Again, at least read the manual about proper media management and file formats, you paid for FCS. A forum will not give you all the information, especially if it is readily available.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

imovie and AIC

Imovie will most likely put the files into AIC, which in my experience are huge (36gig/hr) but that might be different with the iphone.
    once you have it in that, you can import it into your bin and once you drag it onto the timeline, it will most likely ask you if you want the timeline to be AIC or "to match the format" and say yes.
    that should make some magic for you.