FCP7 & Stellar Phoenix recovery software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by markjones05, Jul 11, 2012.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Recently a GDrive I was editing a project off of failed to mount and I used the program Stellar Phoenix to recover the contents onto another drive. It was able to copy everything I had selected and everything is working properly except for the .fcp project files and auto saves.

When I try to open the saved project I get an error "File error: Wrong type". I thought at first maybe it was that file that was corrupted but every single one of the autosave files seems to be giving me that error as well, which makes me think maybe I am just doing something wrong.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any idea how I can get my saved work back? I have spent days working on this project sifting, syncing and editing through terabytes of footage and cant even imagine starting over.

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

Try this:

Make a duplicate of the file. Open the file in textedit. Save it out as a text file with a different name. Change the extension to .fcp

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Thank's, I was able to find this exact method yesterday and it worked! Great to know, saved me about 4 days of catch up work.