FCP7: Using AVCHD footage captured on Premiere

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scouser75, Jan 14, 2010.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I need to pick your brains please.

Can FCP7 use AVCHD footage which has been captured by Adobe Premiere and stored on an external HD?

I want to bring the HD home and transfer the footage onto and edit it using FCP7.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which file format (.mov, .avi) and which codec did you use?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As a rule FCP doesn't like AVCHD. Assuming it's in a codec that QT will read you'll want to transcode it into a FCP friendly codec before using it.

Lethal

4. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies guys.

As yet this footage hasn't been captured. I just wanted to know a) if it is possible for FCP7 to use it. b) If it was possible, what codec should be used when capturing it using Premiere.

OR, once captured using Premiere, will I have to then re-code it using FCP? If so, can I use ProRes?

Sorry if I sound thick on this one. It's just that I've never come across this work flow before. And Search and Google where not my friend in this case!

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is it Premiere on the Mac or PC? IIRC Premiere can work w/AVCHD natively so you should just be able to take the native AVHD files and use Log and Transfer in FCP to transcode them into ProRes. Don't quote me on this though as I haven't worked w/Premiere in ages.

Lethal

6. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Hook the camera up via firewire or USB, whatever it uses, open up Final Cut Pro 7, head over to Log and Transfer and it'll grab the AVCHD files right off the camera and convert transcode them using whichever codec you choose. I do it all the time with my little HF10.

NOTE: Only works when files are coming straight off the camera.

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's Premiere on PC.

I've been doing a bit of research into this. It seems that ACCHD can be ingested into FCP7. This is then converted into ProRes 442. But it seems this can only be done if you're ingesting directly from the SD card.

What would be good to know is, if my client copies the AVCHD files onto an external HD, can I ingest the AVCHD from the HD using Log and Capture.

8. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone, please? I'm seeing my client tomorrow and would be great if I can give him a conclusive answer whether I can capture the AVCHD footage from his external HD.

Thanks

9. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

No promises but if they copy each card as a disk image, I see no reason why you'd not be able to mount it and have FCP treat it just as it would treat the SD card.

10. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Keith.

My client's going to transfer the disk image to HD and I'll hopefully be able to give it a try by end of this week.

Will let you all know how get along.