FCPX 10.0.5 and GoPro Image Stabilization

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cwazytech, Sep 11, 2012.

1. cwazytech macrumors 6502

I do not seem to have a lot of luck finding help on these forums, but here I go. I am running FXPX 10.0.5 and I'm trying to edit a video shot on my GoPro HD Hero 2. The video was shot in 720P at 60fps. For some reason, the "Image Stabilization" function is not available for any of the footage shot with my GoPro. However, the footage that I shot with my iPhone 4s does have this function. Any ideas why I am unable to see or use this function with my GoPro footage?

2. mBox macrumors 68020

How did you get the footage into FCPX?
    Did you apply any Optimize options?
    I dont think itll work with a file based out of the SD card and/or if its not converted to ProRes.
    I could be wrong since all my GoPro clips get Optimized during import.

3. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I thought I did, but I guess not because that worked. Thanks.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

FCPX dont seem to like applying its little helpers unless it has complete control of the file format.

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

You should be able to add your gopro file directly from your card into your event. No converting needed and it will play back as long as you have a newer computer.

In FCPX, select the clip from the event and add it to your timeline. Once it's in the timeline, select the clip so its highlighted yellow around the border. Click the inspector button or hit cmnd+4. Once that window opens up, click the video tab, scroll down to stabilization. Click the blue box to the left of the word "stabilization" to turn it on.

Also, if you plan on slowing down your 60fps clip, make sure your project is in 720p/30fps and not the default 720p/60fps based on your first clip added.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Thats the thing, should. But the op tried and failed with his Image Stab.
    I tested mine and it was fine importing straight off the card.
    But not a good workflow.
    I shoot very long formats on to SD card and dont like tasking it.

7. elisedriver macrumors newbie

I do loads of track days and driving vids, and for the last couple of years I've used a GoPro.

Workflow wise I still connect the GoPro to my Mac and then transfer the files direct to my storage drive. Then in FCPX I import them into an event, usually creating Optimised media.

When the footage is excessively long, I take the intermediary step of using MPEG Streamclip to trim to sections that I want - so I'm not having loads of unnecessary footage to wade through in FCPX.

Then, for footage I actually need to stabilise, I prefer to use CoreX LocknLoad plugin - as it is quicker and tends to give better results.