FCPX 10.1.3 gags on AVCHD video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jpine, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jpine macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just picked up a new AC90 Panasonic camcorder. Adobe Premiere Pro CC blows through the two hour AVCHD file without so much as a hiccup or a stutter. On there other hand, FCPX (10.1.3) is completely overwhelmed with a constantly spinning pinwheel with the same file. It even has problems with the files with the files I've transcoded to ProRes. My computer should be sufficient. It's a 2010 12-core MP, 64GB RAM and a flashed and modded Radeon 7970 card. All video is on a RAID and not the system drive. Any thoughts?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Dunno the issue but even my old 2008 MacPro and FCP flies through AVCHD video as long as its converted to PreRes first. What conversion app are you using?

3. Unami, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

Unami macrumors 6502a

strange - i have no problems with 24mbit avchd from my panasonic af-100 on my 3.5ghz i7/32gb ram/nvidia 560ti hackintosh, as long as the project does not get too long & complex. i just checked - skimming through a 20 min. project with a single video track barely got the cpu cores over 50% in activity monitor

premiere has always been faster with avchd but with worse playback-quality. have you tried setting playback in fcp to "better performance"?

just have fcpx transcode your media to prores proxy (proxy media) or prores 422 (high quality media) in the background - rightclick -> transcode media - and use those much faster intra-frame codecs for editing - fcpx will use the original files for the final render.

prores should't be a problem on your machine - maybe it's the modded 7970 that causes problems. my 2009 13" mbp works fine with smaller - prores projects - but i use proxy files for longer things if i have to cut on it.

4. jpine thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll swap out the GPU for an nVidia GTX 570 I have laying around and see what happens.