FCPX - 13" rMBP sufficient "juice"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bounce08, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bounce08 macrumors member

I'm looking at the new Haswell rMBPs but I am trying to justify the extra cost of the 15" with the dedicated nVidia card over the top spec 13" without one.

My primary use is HD video editing and rendering.

Quite simply, will a too spec i7 dual core 16GB 13" rMBP "do the job"?

Most of the footage I edit is shot in 2.5k and I'd like to be able to edit in FCPX as close to this resolution as possible without it being a tedious and slow process. I use an external color grading monitor so the size if the screen on the rMBP does not matter.

Is a dual core i7 enough "juice" to edit in 2k+ resolution for a smooth experience?

Does the dedicated nVidia card really provide a much better experience and justify the extra cost?

2. Pheo macrumors regular

I would say that its the four core processor in the 15" which will make the difference, not the GPU. Also IRIS Pro by all accounts is good at GPU rendering as well.

That is why I discounted the 13" rMBP, lack of quad core. I'm finding my base 15" very capable in FCPX.

3. GP20 macrumors member

Do you have the dGPU?

4. empireofpassion macrumors newbie

He said he has the base model. Hence no dGPU.

5. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

15". I've been editing 1080p contents on FCPX. You won't get "smooth" experience but close and also depends on how long the duration of the project is. 16GB RAM is a must. In terms of which is better for video editing, Intel should provide adequate experience however, if you can splurge for Nvidia, that would be better.

6. Gav Mack, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Seconded. FCPX will be getting a big Opencl update when the Mac Pro is released to utilise the twin FirePro cards so a discrete GPU will be highly recommended. Video apps that utilise CUDA also make it even more of a necessity.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. I would also add that it depends on what effects you add. I find that the built-in ones are mostly ok on the 15" rMBP, but adding third party effects does make it stutter (I am using plugins from http://fxfactory.com/ ) and often require a smoke break whilst rendering.

8. Pheo macrumors regular

Although I get the comparisons for the OP comparing dGPU vs Iris Pro, I'm still not sure why he's comparing the top spec 13" with the 15"

Personally, I would allocate the money to the quad core processor, rather than spending it on the 13" and upgrading to i7.

I've found that my new rMBP base has half to quartered my rendering time. Most recent project was a 2hr DVD run - edited very smoothly in ProRes 422 and original media, whereas my old system (Sandbridge Mid-Range Mac Mini) stuttered a lot with anything other than proxy media.

Mind you, if the OP has the money to spring for top spec, and has a job where he's going to use it, I'd do that :D I'm just assuming that there is a budget here (hence the consideration of the 13" in the first place.