FCPX - 256 SSD Disk workflow (Move to external disk)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SamR123, May 29, 2013.

1. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

I just got myself a new computer but since it only has 256GB of diskspace I need to be wise and not fill it up with my FCPX projects and events. But I would really like the speed of the SSD while working on a project.

What would be a nice workable setup to use the SSD for both importing and editing, and after a project is done move it to an external USB3.0 disk?

I'm wondering on maybe a script or whatever, don't mind to do it manually but I would like FCPX to continue recognising the project (and it's new location) after it's moved to the external disk.

Any tips, links and tricks much appreciated!

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

You shouldnt really use your internal as your scratch disk - best to use an external drive, or a second internal drive, to maintain performance.
    With a SSD its even more important since they have a limited life and the write cycles will wear it down much quicker.

Use the SSD as your main drive, to run the actual program. This way it'll run fast and efficient. Use an external spindle drive as the scratch disc - for project files, render files, etc. Works perfect for me.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Event Manager X is your best bet to move Events/Projects around.
    I would avoid using local drive for any major I/O projects.
    There are other options out there e.g. Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro and their Thunderbolt enclosures.
    We use that with a RED ROCKET card for field use on a rMBP.

4. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Thanks! I'm going to check out your suggestions and do some research. Much appreciated.