Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Anyone used da vinci resolve?

I use a Mac Pro 2010 but thought as a back up, I would also get a laptop (sold my 2009 MBP a year ago).

I always edit with FCPX but was considering giving something else a go as i cant afford a new old mac pro (2013) and im not a fan of the imac, which leaves the imac mini - LOL Also, apple seem hell bent on updating OS's all the time which i find quite anoyying and a little confusing - i used to know what OS i ran, now its 'is it the yosemite, a lion, a dessert?

So might be looking at a dell-boy xps or second hand 2012 macbook pro. (About £800 budget).

Da vinci resolve is free - does it still hold up?

Anyone used it on Windows 10 / Linux?

Anyone actually used a linux for video editing?

Any other alternatives on PC - other than CC, dont like a monthly fee.

whitestar27

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
New Zealand
I'm hoping to use Resolve myself but my machine is very underpowered for it. You need to have a beefy GPU. Blackmagic have a guide on their site as to what is an acceptable machine and it's not pretty.

You're going to have to give up your dream of running Resolve on a Linux box because they only supply it with a full $30,000 color grading suite setup.

Does Resolve hold up? Oh yes. They are adding more and more editing features to turn it from a colour grading system into a full featured editor. It's also got the best tracker in the business. Just be aware of the system requirements is all I'm saying

Reactions: steveOooo

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
Anyone used da vinci resolve?

I use a Mac Pro 2010 but thought as a back up, I would also get a laptop (sold my 2009 MBP a year ago).

I always edit with FCPX but was considering giving something else a go as i cant afford a new old mac pro (2013) and im not a fan of the imac, which leaves the imac mini - LOL...Any other alternatives on PC - other than CC, dont like a monthly fee.

I edit large documentaries on a 2015 iMac 27 using FCPX and it works fine. I'm working on one with a 5 terabyte library on a Thunderbolt 2 SSD array and performance is pretty good.

If you want good media management -- rating, keywording, tagging, searching -- there is no other product like FCPX. Likewise it is much faster in terms of smoothness and responsiveness than any other editor on the same hardware.

That said, Resolve is a great product and obviously superior for color correction. I've heard of several Premiere Pro editors switching to Resolve.

Personally, if I switched to Premiere or Resolve it would not be on a Mac. Windows hardware is cheaper and can be customized better, and you're running the same application software. I edited in Premiere for years and still have a Premiere CC subscription. It is OK -- I like a few things better than FCPX but Premiere just isn't as fast nor has the media management.

Here is Dave Dugdale discussing why he switched from Premiere to Resolve and his experiences:
http://www.learningvideo.com/switched-premiere-pro-to-resolve/

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I'm hoping to use Resolve myself but my machine is very underpowered for it. You need to have a beefy GPU. Blackmagic have a guide on their site as to what is an acceptable machine and it's not pretty.

You're going to have to give up your dream of running Resolve on a Linux box because they only supply it with a full $30,000 color grading suite setup.

Does Resolve hold up? Oh yes. They are adding more and more editing features to turn it from a colour grading system into a full featured editor. It's also got the best tracker in the business. Just be aware of the system requirements is all I'm saying

Crikey, looks like they just have a 'better quality' option, not a 'better performance' option.

Sort of spoilt with FCPX on my Macpro with AMD r9 380 in that i can edit camera raw 4k videos end even that exports quickly - rarely need to render anything.

Sounds like my MP will handle it fine, at least edit in HD and change to 4k last min.

Optimising media is something i did pre-edit anyway pre FCPX (fcp7), the only thing im not sure about is using a laptop to edit.
[doublepost=1483973227][/doublepost]
I edit large documentaries on a 2015 iMac 27 using FCPX and it works fine. I'm working on one with a 5 terabyte library on a Thunderbolt 2 SSD array and performance is pretty good.

If you want good media management -- rating, keywording, tagging, searching -- there is no other product like FCPX. Likewise it is much faster in terms of smoothness and responsiveness than any other editor on the same hardware.

That said, Resolve is a great product and obviously superior for color correction. I've heard of several Premiere Pro editors switching to Resolve.

Personally, if I switched to Premiere or Resolve it would not be on a Mac. Windows hardware is cheaper and can be customized better, and you're running the same application software. I edited in Premiere for years and still have a Premiere CC subscription. It is OK -- I like a few things better than FCPX but Premiere just isn't as fast nor has the media management.

Here is Dave Dugdale discussing why he switched from Premiere to Resolve and his experiences:
http://www.learningvideo.com/switched-premiere-pro-to-resolve/

Yeah an imac + raid might be an option, particulary if i get a bit of office space this year - could have the imac + my 4tb Firewie 800 GRAID for home use (but the graid is so noisey - not great as my home office is right by my bed lol).

What RAID do you use? I just need a 4-8tb one ideally as quite as possible.

The GRAID is great at resting my LG Ultra Wide monitor on!

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
...What RAID do you use? I just need a 4-8tb one ideally as quite as possible...

I have many different Thunderbolt RAIDs, including 8TB Promise Pegasus R4, 16TB OWC Elite Pro Dual, 16TB OWC Thunderbay 4, 8TB OWC Thunderbay Mini with 4 x 2TB Samsung SSDs, 8TB G-Raid, etc.

The OWC Thunderbay 4 is a good product at a good price and using SoftRAID means you are not locked into a specific proprietary RAID format. However the spinning G-Raid or spinning OWC boxes are not as quiet as the Promise Pegasus. The OWC Thunderbay Mini with SSD drives is almost totally silent and lightning fast, but it's more expensive. OWC has pre-built SSD versions of that but they're quite expensive. Getting the Thunderbay Mini chassis and using Samsung EVO SSD plus SoftRAID is a lot cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.