FCPX and long rendering

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by efranklin, Mar 27, 2012.

1. efranklin macrumors newbie

I am using an Imac with 12mb memory and i7 processor ( 27" ) I am importing VHS tapes ( old family tape etc, nothing protected ) I am using ADVC300 and vhs deck. Some of the tapes are 120 minutes of footage. After importing, which is fine, it starts to render and will keep going until I manually stop it ( greater than 24 hours ) What is going on? The imported files all play, no problems. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You probably checked to Optimise it during import, thus it will be transcoded to ProRes 422, though why it would take that long, is beyond me. Maybe the capturing software you use to record the VHS tapes uses a very compressed codec?
    [​IMG]

3. efranklin thread starter macrumors newbie

Long rendering

I am using FCP X for importing my tapes. Do I simply uncheck the optimize box or do I then have to check proxy? What kind of resolution will I get unchecked? Again, I would love to know why the rendering is so long even under optimized. Thanks for your quick response.

4. simsaladimbamba

So you don't import the footage via that "Import Files" dialog but use the "Import from camera" option?
    If so, what have you set there?
    Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?