FCPX and New 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 4God, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Anybody running FCPX on the new (2012) 27" iMac? if so, how well does it run and what are your specs? (RAM, drives etc.)

2. simsaladimbamba

It also depends on the kind of footage one uses. I run FCP X just fine on my 2007 and 2009 C2D Macs.

3. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

True about the type of footage... I'm editing H.264 and ProRes using FCPX on my 2011 15" Macbook Pro. It works great but I'm considering adding a 27" iMac to my toolset and wanted to get some feedback on how well it behaves.

4. New2012MacForMe macrumors member

I just picked up the new iMac 27", 16gb, i7, 1tb fusion, 2gb video card. First thing I did was pick up FCPX. It flies! No issues with speed - importing, editing, rendering, exporting. It's all good. The only issue I am having is the importing of old mts or m2ts video saved on an external drive. Since FCPX does not support the importing of these formats, I have to convert them first. After converting using Pavvtube to every format I can think of, the video is jittery. The only import format that works for me is mpg4 - no jitters, but the quality is lower than I'd like. For any newly recorded video, I just import it directly using USB straight from the camera and it works great - no jitters. It's just the old stuff I'm worrying about. I have a post about it on another thread in the video forum - no solutions yet.

5. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Thanks for your input. Considering options now, Fusion drive/no Fusion drive, SSD/no SSD...

6. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I'm not a video pro, but have you tried exporting the mts to uncompressed DV (huge file), then recompressing to ProRes? Worth a try...

7. simsaladimbamba

.mts files are normally HD files, the DV codec (which is not uncompressed) is for SD footage, and the ProRes codecs are for SD and HD and transcoding video from HD to SD and then HD again will only introduce quality loss.

Video Compression
    Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

8. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I think I learned that once. There was no getting rid of the block-i-facts, no matter what I tried.

9. Katori macrumors member

Is there any way that you could turn it into ProRes at the highest-quality profile? That would be the best course of action.

10. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro i getting funny blocks whenever i move the camera recording capturing the recorded video from a Sony DV camcorder (Sony TRV-14E) Don't know if this is normal from an old camcorder?

My FCP works fine. All extras on Mac 2012 with 32GB RAM

11. elohel macrumors member

mine keeps freezing

I think I got bad ram :( so bummed

edit: meant to post it freezes when I'm messing around with parameters of things while something is editing in the background

I end up having to restart the computer and it acts like nothing happened lol

12. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I've just switched from a 2009 iMac to the latest 27" with all extras except the 3TB. It sure feels like a 40-50% performance increase, but I bet it's mostly due to my switch from FireWire 800 disks to the promise Pegasus r6 thunderbolt raid, which is just so incredibly fast. I really find X useable for the first time now. Only thing is, the interface still feels kinda unresponsive and laggy, which I find really shocking. It almost feels like bad coding or something, for example whenever I scroll through the event manager the scrolling just feels not immediate. So weird really... But besides that..video performance is amazing!

13. SurfCity1, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

SurfCity1 macrumors newbie

Mine is doing the same thing! I am so bummed! My 27" iMac freezes especially when rendering titles, and the only way to get it going again is to reboot. When it does this, there is no trace of any error in the Console.

Every single project that I have made so far has crashed at least once. I'm going to take it in when to have them install new RAM, as someone suggested that this might be the issue.

I've tried everything that Apple Support has suggested, and nothing. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

When it is working, FCPX is super fast!
    27"
    3.4 i7
    32GB
    GTX 680 MX 2048MB
    3T

14. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Did you mean 32 GB ram or 23 GB Ram?

15. SurfCity1 macrumors newbie

Ha! 32. Fixed it. Now help me fix this darn computer. I have heard that there are a lot of people experiencing the freeze with these new machines and FCPX!

16. deltaguru macrumors newbie

Same problem here

Hi,

got new iMac i7.
    FCPX is crashing all the time.
    Even old media on internal harddrive which wotke on an old iMac perfectly is crashing FCPX.
    Blank or partially blank thumbnails?!

I have no idea how to fix it

APPLE FIX THAT SOON !:mad:

17. Fantola macrumors member

Another problem.

Im doing some heavy dubstep editing. My project is filled with special effects. (transitions, etc) Although it's only 2:20 minutes, and 100% rendered, i get lag when playing the project... :(
    More specicfic; it lags when it plays the transitions.
    Also when i start a playback it takes 5 seconds for it to start playing.

specs:
    i7 3.4 ghz
    680mx
    32 gb ram (third party)
    1 tb fusion.

18. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think (from what I've read)... that there is an issue between FCPX and video drivers for the 680mx. I understand that it becomes evident when editing titles... and "pixie dust" is one that triggers the freeze most repeatedly.

I would expect an update from Apple at some point.

/Jim

19. Fantola macrumors member

I forgot to mention that I'm editing 90 fps footage in 720p so maybe thats the thing causing it... But i still think it should handle it... I spend a lot of money on my computer! :(

20. Lebthree macrumors newbie

You may want to check this thread which discusses the fcpx and iMac problems which have yet to be totally resolved. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4707372?start=420&tstart=0

21. brianchaffee, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

brianchaffee macrumors newbie

FCPX and new iMac

First off, 2013 is the new iMac.

Go with the biggest flash drive for storage. Forget Fusion, it's a joke.

The 4GB gpu.

Max amount of ram from third party.

$2,850. + tax + 32GB ram (about $250.)

Now go to apple site and check the base quad core nMP [new MacPro]. Total: $2,999. Bump up gpu as much as you can afford.

nMP stomps the iMac especially for FCPX. Forget Geekbench.

This comes from a real world experience. If you are seriously going to use FCPX, the nMP is the only way to 'use' it.

FCPX will not only use all of the processor, ram and gpu but in addition, the nMP is optimized for that very program. The lagging is no more.

P.S. Forget the screen, you can get one. Get the maserati first.

22. Bear macrumors G3

When the thread was posted, the 2012 iMac was the new iMac. You responded to a thread that was last commented on in March of last year.

23. sidabet macrumors newbie

Upgrade to FCPX 10.1 it supports direct import of MTS.