FCPX and older imacs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TrishVroomWarren, Dec 26, 2016.

1. TrishVroomWarren macrumors newbie

TrishVroomWarren

I have a late 2012 27 inch imac with 24 GB ram which I have been using very well with FCPX. In the Oct upgrade - I noticed that my video card will not work for 3D graphics. And also it has been crashing.
    I am wondering if you know if it is possible to upgrade the video card on an imac.
    Or if I need to get a new imac?

2. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

There's no way to upgrade the video card, but Apple would love to sell you another iMac.

3. TrishVroomWarren thread starter macrumors newbie

TrishVroomWarren

what if i purchased the mac mini, could I use my imac as a monitor, and would it work with FCPX?

4. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

FCPX would run on the Mini, but the Mini is slower than the iMac — fewer cores and no discrete graphics — and also not expandable.

Recent iMacs don't work in Target Display Mode, but I think yours might.

Apple has carefully designed things so that your only viable upgrade path is to buy a new iMac. Frustrating, I know.

5. TrishVroomWarren thread starter macrumors newbie

TrishVroomWarren

--- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2016 ---
    heavy sigh....
    I am wondering - what should I sell my imac for? What is it worth? Attached is info. it as has a 1 TB HD FullSizeRender copy.jpg

6. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

It's tough to say, but an eBay search can yield some clues.

Why do you think your current iMac wouldn't be able to do 3D work? I've done 3D stuff using a 2012 Mac Mini with just its basic integrated graphics chip. What app were you thinking of using?

7. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Your iMac isn't that slow, and it has plenty of RAM. However it was equipped with the bottom end GPU option. If it had been the mid-range or top GPU option it would be perfectly usable. I guess that's a lesson for the future :)

The cheapest route is probably getting a 2013 through 2015 pre-owned iMac 27 with a better GPU. If you do that, I'd also suggestion getting one with Fusion Drive or SSD, not a regular spinning hard drive.

If you look on the Apple refurbished site, there are several possibilities: http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

The retina iMacs have a much clearer display, which is very apparent on text.