fcpx badly optimized for the new mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freshtea, Jul 10, 2014.

1. freshtea macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing low playback performance on fcpx 10.1.2 on my new mac pro:
    I'm on a 8-core, 64GB, d700 (project and files are all on the main drive. Im on the latest maverick update.

Im working on prores 1080p and adding some effects to a clip and my playback really drops, so far I have been testing a few plugins such as hawaki "auto-split" or coremelts "track & slice X". I instantly need to render the effects to see the results, the funny thing is the same plugins runs smoothly on my macbook retina.. It made me wonder maybe the 3rd party plugin isn't optimised for the new mac pro but then I tried hawaki auto-split on Premiere cc 2014 and I was getting way better results than fcpx..

This may seem like a trival thing but paying this much money for a product and having a bigger project with different plugins this gets really annoying..

Anyone else experiencing any issues?

2. menano macrumors regular

menano

I have had an absolutely delightful experience with FCP X on my nMP (6core, D500). I have actually used FCP 7 until now because I couldn't stand the new FCP but now I don't think I want anything else ever!

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Although I haven't used it myself.

Although I haven't used FCP X on an nMP myself, I have friends who have, and they report awesome performance using nearly identical configurations to yours. I suggest perhaps deleting FCP and all associated files, and trying a clean install. Perhaps a clean Mavericks install as well.

4. koban4max macrumors 68000

Excuse me, but since you mentioned FCP 7 on nMP...could you tell me how it's functioning ...does it have high performance?

5. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I imagine gains for FCP7 are minimal on new hardware these days as it can't address all that memory and isn't hyperthreaded (at all, I believe.)

6. medium8080 macrumors newbie

I'm using FCP 7 on a nMP 6 core, 64gb, & D700s and it's moving fast, but then again I'm coming from a G5 quad with FCP 6...

I'm planning to switch to FCP X or Premier CC once I have a project that I can take the time to learn the new software on.

7. freshtea thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah its not like the mac itself performs poorly in other scenarios. I've tried geek bench also to make sure its not the computer itself.. its just fcpx

8. koban4max macrumors 68000

how's the rendering part and exporting stuff?

----------

so...it's fast still, right?