FCPX: Can I mix AVCHD cam and Mini-DV?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, Jun 17, 2014.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I want to shoot a baseball game. I have 2 HD cameras: A Canon Mini DV HD tape camera and a Canon HD AVCHD camera. Can I combine video from both into 1 Final Cut Pro X timeline? I figured it would be cool to have 1 camera on a tripod close up on the batter at all times. The other camera will be hand held.

2. Unami macrumors 6502a

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Haha nice answer ;)

Unami is right.

However to avoid any hiccups I would suggest to transcode at base level.

Dont get cheeky and try to work through it in its native format.

I only know of one format that hasnt choked FCPX to date and thats R3D from RED.

Go figure Im working on 4K and up res and it doesnt hiccup like XDCAM, AVCHD, etc.

I think its due to the fact that RED and Apple spent more time on dev as oppose to using simple Quick Time wrappers.

Im guessing of course :)

4. ColdCase, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

You can combine any video compatible with FCP X. Capture/import the video tape directly into your FCP library. It may be faster editing if you convert the AVCHD videos to ProRes before importing.. but it can work out. Then drag and drop to your timeline as you want. If the video has different base characteristics (resolution, frame rate, size) FCP will change the video to fit the time line. So set up your timeline with the base video characteristics you want... either manually or by dragging a sample video to the timeline and letting FCP adapt the timeline to it.

5. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

That sounds great; thanks!