Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I'm nearly 10 hours into a video edit job of a video I'm putting together for Christmas (of course). However, on export, I see the frame rate is 23.97. The video was all shot at 29.97 (all of it, not a stitch at 23.97). I'm worried about judder in the final video if I keep the project at 23.97fps. I also have no clue why the project frame rate is 23.97 as I thought the project settings were set by the first clip. Since I only have 29.97 fps footage I wasn't thinking I needed to do anything there and just went on my merry way. Here we are, 10 hours later, and the wrong frame rate is set in the project.

Reading online tells me this isn't a trivial change as all the edits will have timing issues now if I go through the effort of changing to 29.97.

Any advice for me? I'm new to FCPX by about a week and I really don't want to start again (not to mention I'm running out of time). Also, any idea why the project was set to a different frame rate?

Thanks.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Click on your project in the media browser, click modify in the inspector and set the correct framerate. You can always go back if this causes timing issues, but I would think Final Cut would do the right thing. It usually does.

I think one of the later updates made it so that the automatic settings based on clip doesn't register framerate, but only resolution or something - not quite sure. Always set it all manually myself

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
So, rather than modifying the existing 24fps project I created a new 30fps project then copy/pasted the timeline into the new project. This worked, for the most part. There were just a handful of synchronized clips where the audio and video sync were no longer aligned and only a couple of transitions that needed to be adjusted back a tad. For the most part, the short clips were fine (or the variation was not noticeable to me) so, I left them alone.

<snip>... Always set it all manually myself
Yeah, lesson learned. I'll be more aware of it going forward. This was only my second project in FCPX and my first week of owning the software. Now I know for future projects...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.