FCPX cheaper

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Daud, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Daud macrumors regular

With FCPX now only on Appstore, is there and educ discount possible ?

I can currently get it 20% off by combination of cashback creditcard and sale on iTunes gift card...

Also, for an occasional home user, albeit fond of playing with programs, would it be an overshot ? Shall I get also Motion 5 and Comperssor ?

2. simsaladimbamba

What about using the trial first, to see, it fulfils your needs?

Depends on your needs.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Definitely start with the trial to see how you like it. If you decide to get it I would recommend getting Compressor 4 as well because it brings out a lot more functionality in FCP exporting/compressing customization. Motion may or may not be needed depending on your needs. If you are doing video editing only you should be able to do everything you need without Motion.

4. loungecorps macrumors member

education discount... if that is an option, I suggest getting Avid Media composer. I got my copy from school for $300 BUT it also comes with 4 years of free upgrades. So what we have here is a question of buying a new unreliable buggy program, or a full featured relabeled editor that is actually used in the market place.

FCPX is cool and fast, has some useful features BUT it crashes all the time and is missing essential control over not only how you work, but the kind of work that you can do.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Media Composer sounds like complete overkill for what he's looking for.

6. Daud thread starter macrumors regular

Your comment brings also the issue of learning curve. Realistically, I do not have time for many things, so a program giving me a hard time to bring some early satisfaction would be a problem for me.
    I don't like how the iMovie developed in the recent versions and thought about jumping to something better, if I need to spend time with it.

I already bought the iTunes cards, so FCXP would be $240 for me...

BTW, how can you legally transfer ownership of a program which is offered on AppStore only ?

7. loungecorps macrumors member

i'm just saying their are other cheap options out there that don't limit your creativity.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you don't like the recent versions of iMovie you should really download the trail of FCP 10 as it and iMovie have a fair amount of GUI and basic operation in common.

Lethal