Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I was working on this project the other day, and I finished it and exported to h.264 for sharing. It was only supposed to be a sample video clip so the original videos were to be used for a bigger project, but now when I open the project file and try to play any of the videos I recorded with my T2i, except for a time lapse which is raw video, FCPX spits out a black screen.

Obviously I was able to work on them and export them, but I checked out my backup logs and apparently less than 1 hour after the export, the movie files were corrupted. I was uploading the h.264 exported video then, so this leads me to believe that somehow FCPX corrupted my video files.

This was causing all sorts of errors including crash on startup due to a failure to render previews, unable to open project, etc. and the video files cannot be opened with any video player, including but not limited to QuickTime, MPlayerX and VLC.

The timestamp, resolution, audio and all other information about the videos are all intact. FCPX still reports that the videos are 1080p, stereo audio, 30fps video with the correct timestamp.
Can anyone help?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
What version FCP X are you running? I'm on 10.0.3 and I've noticed some minor issues with linking of files but I've been able to fix the issue 100% of the time...I think 10.0.5 fixed the issue so I'm updating now...

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Not sure about the black files problem and have heard about it in the past, but prior to 10.0.3 there was this issue where FCPX blessed files would lose link if used in other apps such as After Effects.
I had to re-link the files after each use of same clips.
That issue doesn't exist anymore with 10.0.5.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I worked on the project in 10.0; now it's running 10.0.5 and there's nothing that I can do to fix this.
I did not edit the videos on an external editor.

I don't think this is an issue with file linkage; when I go to the actual project folder in Finder and open the original video that way, the problem persists outside of FCPX!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
right-click on any of the Original clips and select QuickTime 7 as player.
if it shows up, then the issue is QuickTime X.
I would back up the originals to a different drive for safe-keep.
I havent installed QT in a long time not sure if you have to do a Pro install or new OS install.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I have discovered something extremely disturbing.

I checked my original files to open in QT7 as mBox advised, but I noticed that all the movie files were reduced to minuscule sizes like 10KB.
I checked both my FW800 and Time Capsule backups, and alas, all my backups showed the same behavior, all the way back to the day of the project.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I dont believe the video was imported, almost sounds like a reference file.
I dont think FCPX would be able to do that to the original files.
I can see QT corrupting but only during transcode/import/copy.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I dont believe the video was imported, almost sounds like a reference file.
I dont think FCPX would be able to do that to the original files.
I can see QT corrupting but only during transcode/import/copy.

I originally imported the videos to my Aperture library, from which FCPX copied to the Projects folder.
I made sure that the import was complete because I was unsure if FCPX would treat it as managed or referenced.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
The QT files do they have an black icon with an arrow?
If you see that then its a reference file and not the original.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
The QT files do they have an black icon with an arrow?
If you see that then its a reference file and not the original.

No, they are not aliases.
They are "playable" original .mov files.
If you mean the play arrow, Quick Look does attempt to play it if you press that arrow.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Im thinking since it was originally from Aperture, something got buggered between the two apps.
So there is no way of playing back these files at Finder level?
Not QTX or QT7?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Im thinking since it was originally from Aperture, something got buggered between the two apps.
So there is no way of playing back these files at Finder level?
Not QTX or QT7?

There was no error; FCPX did a straight copy from the Aperture library to the Projects folder, and used the copied files as the originals.
Due to redundancy I deleted the movie files from Aperture...
And no, I can't play them at all.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I honestly dont know what to add.
Sorry to hear that man.
Next time dont use Aperture as go between footage.
Ive never heard of this workflow.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I honestly dont know what to add.
Sorry to hear that man.
Next time dont use Aperture as go between footage.
Ive never heard of this workflow.

It sometimes happens when I'm importing my stills into Aperture and forget to uncheck the movies that are to go to FCPX.
It worked with my other projects (which are fine, thank goodness), I am at a loss for words right now. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.