FCPx doesn't see external device

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fricodam, Aug 4, 2011.

1. fricodam macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am following Steve Martin advice and want to keep all my files on the dedicated media device. For some reason FCP x doesn't see my external hard drive, although it is on the desktop. It is formatted for both PC and Mac. Any idea why I can't see my external hard drive? Thank you very much in advance

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Is it formatted as HFS +? I dont think it will work with anything else.

3. fricodam thread starter macrumors newbie

It was formatted in the Apple store by an instructor so would I be able to use it in both PC and Mac. Honestly I have no idea how it was formatted, I am new to Mac. How should I check it? Thank you

4. mBox macrumors 68020

you can check Applications>Utility>Disk Utility or get info and see what format settings are. Get Info is select drive then Command+I.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

If it is formatted for Mac and Windows, it is not HFS +. You'll have to erase the drive in Disk Utilities (back up files you have on the drive already).
    Does the drive show in the Finder?

6. fricodam thread starter macrumors newbie

It is formatted MS-DOC (FAT32). Does it mean that FCP will never able to read it?

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

It should be, but FAT32 is a very bad choice - especially with video due to its file size limit.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Right. FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit. Horrible for modern video editing, where clip sizes can be larger than that pretty easily.

I would suggest reformatting for Mac OS X Extended (HFS+). If you really need to be able to use the drive in Windows as well, there's an application called MacDrive that lets you mount Mac-formatted volumes on Windows machines with read/write capabilities.

9. fricodam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your help! You all are great!

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a