FCPX - esata Raid0 for Events or Projects Folder? confused!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yongy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. yongy macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have one raid0 esata enclosure and one Fw800 raid0 enclosure. The esata is obviously faster but i'm at a lost as to which one should contain my events or projects folder in FCPX.

Previous versions of final cut required footage and rendering files to be on separate HD's to speed up rendering blah blah blah... and i know that FCPX makes it easier now as all the folders are contained under the EVENTS/PROJECTS folders, but which one would really benefit from the esata raid0?

Am I right in thinking that the events folder contains original footage/converted prores footage and the projects includes the renders?

when i'm scrubbing, i know it accesses the events folder...

does it even matter as the other folder will have a FW800 Raid0 enclosure?

soooo confused...

thanks in advance guys!

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

What format are you shooting in?

I'd actually have both on the same drive. If you ever want to use a different computer or so. Otherwise, Project on FW, Events on eSATA.

3. yongy thread starter macrumors newbie

hi cgbier!

shooting H264 (canon 7d) and then converting to prores.

im just used to separating both the footage and the scratch disk but wonder if its now worth it for FCPX.

can i ask why events on esata? thats where the footage is stored right? so does that allow faster scrubbing or rendering? what gets stored in the Project folder then?

thanks!