FCPX hangs ALOT...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MIDI_EVIL, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Anyone else experiencing bugs whilst rendering or exporting from FCPX?

It seems to hang a lot, and cripple my MacBook Pro. I know it's a 1.0 release, but I was just curious whether it was a conflict with FCP7 or the like...

Been tinkering with Premiere CS5 all week... very interesting. ;)

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It hung a lot on my MacBook Pro; however, my Mac isn't officially supported, so I figured that was the reason for it.

3. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I'm running a 2.53 with 8GB of RAM. I have the 512 nVidia 9600GT GPU...

I thought I'd be fine...

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Its getting to be the norm here that someone talks about FCPX then has to mention they are trying other software.
    first off if your a serious user, you should be testing other waters as well :)
    need more specs on your footage.
    ProRes? GoPro? RED CODE...ok Im joking with that last one :)
    Ive done a few projects using only HD from GoPro and tested ProRes (HQ) converted from RED files and so far no slow down.
    Tested on MacBook Pro 2009 Uni and MacPro 12 cores.

again more specs please.

5. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Firstly, I do have experience in all but Premiere (unless you count 6.5), so my comment was in jest. Miraculously, Premiere in it's current form has managed to miss me entirely.

Off topic, what do you use to convert the RED CODE? I've played a little with RED CINE, but mostly edited with the higher of the proxies.

The footage in question today, comes from a Canon 7D at 25/1080p and a GoPro at 1080p.

MacBook Pro 2.53, 8GB of Crucial RAM, with a 7200rpm internal.
    LaCie Quadra 1TB 7200rpm 16mb cache external, hooked up with eSATA over ExpressCard 34.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

RED Code right from REDCineX mostly. Usually its AMA (uggh) into Avid but thats another story.
    That is weird that the problem is from a Canon since Apple touted this to be one of the best scenarios (according to everyones prosumer chat of course).

Well Premiere prior to CS 5.5 is doo doo.
    I go as far back as v.2.0 :(
    Yes I figured you were joking so no harm.
    Its just hard to give others a hand online when at times it seems like their ready to give up after asking for help :)
    Im not sure if the video card has anything to do with it. I did set my MBP to 9600 of late have you done that?
    Sucks the juice right out of the box though :p
    Come next week Ill be working in FCPX for a few projects using my older MBP Uni 17". The MBP ive been testing is a few months older and its only a 15".
    Itll be RED CODE 4K dumb down to ProRes.
    Good lord were shooting at 4k and finishing for....ugh...FaceBook :p
    Kill me now :(

7. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

It's a X.0 release - what did you expect? How are you hoping MR to resolve this, precisely? Use what you're used to, and wait for updates - it will mature into a (more) incredible tool, no doubt!

@mBox

How is PP "doo doo" exactly, when it works, and FCPX (supposedly) doesn't? Never had a problem with PP, even CS5 - your point is what?

8. mBox macrumors 68020

version 1 or not I want to be here to help others cause I know Ill need it at times.
    Sure I work with Avid MC in a production studio env. and I can turn my nose up to others trying but I choose to be there with this app.
    its a 300 dollar app unlike my last attempt at big changes which was Alias|Wavefront PowerAnimator to Maya.
    That was a huge change and it wasn't a smooth ride.

A whole new paradigm of doings things shouldn't stop creativity ;)

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you tried turning all the background processes off? Maybe that is slowing your things down and making it unstable?

Lethal

10. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I found that FCPX runs slowly (well hangs) on my macbook pro and not so much my Mac Pro and I think this lies in the fact that I haven't had an external drive hooked up to my laptop when tinkering in FCPX.

Were you editing media on an external drive or the one inside the laptop?

11. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Absolutely not. Always internal RAID scratch when using a Mac Pro, or via eSATA with a 7200 LaCie when using MacBook Pro.

12. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Strangely, they're both similar in performance.

I'll double check they're all unchecked.

13. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Because I had some legitimate theories about why their may have been some performance issues... after all, this is a 'Digital Video' section of the forum.

14. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Editing with it was smooth the entire process. Export does slow down and hang at times. Not sure if its a compressor problem or something. This is on a Mac pro 8 core and 24GB of ram, so I don't think its not inherently due to the type of machine alone.