FCPX on 2012 MBA... worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chumawumba, Sep 2, 2013.

1. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

So I have used FCPX on my Macbook Air for a couple projects which turned out well, except for the fact that a 10 minute video takes 6 hours to render in 720p. Final Cut lags and freezes alot when I am using it, so my question is this: Is it normal for FCPX to be this buggy, or is it that high-end video editing is not meant to be on a MBA? I am planning to purchase a new Mac in 2015, so getting a new one now isn't an option. My specs are 128/8/i5. Is using FCPX on a MacBook air practical?

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

What version of FCPX are you using?

I had a go at using FCPX on my 2011 MacBook Air 11" for the fun of it and it went quite a bit smoother than I had expected, I just edited a bit of a holiday I went on, the videos were 1080p. Once I reached about 7 minutes in, that's when it began getting unbearable and I stopped and deleted FCPX. It was a bit over a year ago, I can't remember the version I used.

The MacBook Air is definitely not ideal for video editing. I got away with it, sort of, so it's possible, but not ideal. You should look into creating proxies for video editing on a MacBook Air, hopefully that'd fix some of your problems.

I would assume that this is a good guide to creating proxies - http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-working-with-proxy-media/ - I don't have FCPX anymore, I don't use it, so I can't try it out myself.

3. chumawumba thread starter macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Thanks for the advice on proxies; I'll definitely look into it. As for version I am using 10.0.8. (Although I might upgrade to 10.0.9 soon because I keep on getting these annoying update notifications.)

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I edited 1080p PLENTY of times on a 13" 2010 MBP with Core 2 Duo 8GB of RAM (see below) and it was possible...for anything over 10minutes I would simply transcode everything to ProRes 422 BEFORE importing and I could edit pretty fast...anything over 30 minutes and I wanted to claw my eyes out. One time I had to do a 2 hour edit for Blu-ray output and it was the most frustrating experience I've ever had! Its possible but having your video in ProRes prior saves allot of headaches...again thats with a 13" MBP...at the time of the 2hour edit I did not have my SSD in and had only 4GB's of RAM in. If I were you I and wanted to enjoy editing on a MacBook don't get anything less than quad core i7. External SSD for a scratch drive is also a nice touch if you have an open thunderbolt port.....otherwise a regular external hard drive will do. Everyone has different levels of patience, ProRes helps make it less painful and so do breaks :D

5. daybreak macrumors 6502a

I think over the years advice has been given to use an External Hard Drive for your video media.
    FCP-X is a robust software if used and understood probably. All other editing software fall into that category.

6. wheelhot macrumors 68020

My advice, transcode it to proxy and edit in proxy. Once you're done, switch it back to original media, let it render 100% and export.

While editing in proxy, I'm able to use my pre-unibody lower spec MBP to edit 1080p files (optimized media and original media will not even playback properly), of course even simple edit takes 30-40 secs to render 100%, but it just shows how much faster editing in proxy is compared to FCPX default settings.