FCPX on a 13in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eagandale4114, May 4, 2014.

1. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

What kind of work loads can the 13 inch rMBP handle? Im asking for someone I know who is looking at buying one of these.

2. yabot macrumors regular

i'd like to know as well actually, specifically gopro footage at 1080p/60fps, running off the mid spec 13inch retina macbook pro in final cut pro.

i use a early 2013 15inch retina base spec right now, but screen retention is killing me, and im going travelling so want to sell it and get the 13.

3. yabot macrumors regular

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

24 mbps 1080p footage is no problem on mine.
    Be prepared for frying eggs on it though.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Edit in proxy if necessary - then do the final render with original/optimized, of course.

6. JustinePaula macrumors regular

What works, and what does not

Hi there

Just came across this thread, for me I have a few issues with the 2013 retina Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and 256GB Solid State Drive, I call my mac "Hunk o Junk", as it is, I make no bones about it, it is not a quality device for editing.

It might say on the box it has this or that, "experts" write that it can handle video editing, but reality is, it simply cannot. 2 reasons for this, 13 inch screen is way way too small, even when you max out the screen resolution, I suspect a 2nd screen might help, but the FCP X interface is way too crammed, from uncaring and lazy code.

Mavericks, or Memory Sieve, it should have been called the latter rather than the former, Mavericks is a terrible abuser of RAM, it has no idea how use RAM, period.

Mr Cook and Mr Ive knew from years ago, who was going to buy the 13 inch rMBP in 2013/2014. They created a really awful range of hardware, combined with stupid concepts of hard-soldered RAM, SSD and battery. The 2013 rmbp from November 2013 is unstable, unusable and a waste of time.

For maybe a few hundred $$ more, spread over maybe 3000 or 5000 units, Apple should have going with a better range, for example, killed off the 13 inch Pro range, left it with the 15 inch range, with max out RAM, I have 8, 16 or 32 is better, I am locked into the 8, and I hate it.

Fix Mavericks, in fact take it out into the ocean and drown this useless operating system, it is a joke, it simply does not deliver, it is a still born stupid system.

What kind of workload can it handle?? Everything in Proxy, do not use anything over 1080 HD, 2k, 4k, nope, nothing in SD, as few graphics as you can muster, maybe 6 tracks of video, 2 audio tracks, more than that, and off to the beach you go... Funny how the OS is named after a beach, cause that is all I see all day long, spinny beach balls...

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

To answer your question, I don't think you have any idea of how Mavericks handles RAM.

If there's free RAM, it's wasted RAM. Mavericks does a good job at compressing RAM. I know of one guy on 8GB of RAM who managed to push the compression limit to 16GB before he started paging out his RAM. In fact, looking at free memory is very inaccurate. The most accurate way is to look at your memory pressure.

Apple isn't the only manufacturer in the world to use soldered parts now. Lots of ultra books from Windows manufacturers also use soldered components. Otherwise, how could Apple make the rMBP thinner and so much lighter compared to the cMBP? If you hate being locked onto the amount of RAM you purchased, either save up until you can afford to max it out, or don't buy an rMBP at all. Go buy a Windows laptop instead.

Secondly, if you're asking for heavy 1080p editing on a dual core system and no discrete GPU, you can forget it. If you want to do that, go get a 15" rMBP with a quad core processor and a discrete 2GB GT750M GPU. 13" rMBPs weren't meant for heavy 1080p video editing, let alone 4K.

For most tasks, the base 13" rMBP is actually pretty capable on its own. You can read it here: http://bgr.com/2013/11/18/apple-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-review-late-2013/

8. JustinePaula macrumors regular

Mavericks simply does not do a great job with sending the "free" RAM to where it is needed, FCP X needs RAM, and a lot of it, even with 8GB, as that was what I could afford back then, FCP X is a beach ball fun event.

Mavericks holds onto the RAM and does not allocate it to FCP X, if it did, then there would not be the kernal panics, or beach-balling.

I am trying to figure out where the problem is, is the problem hardware, or software? If hardware, what?? RAM?? SSD, Logic system, GPU, CPU, or is the problem buggy code in FCP X? Mavericks???

I do not know enough to figure it out, I suspect it is a combination of bad code in Mavericks, not enough RAM, a dodgy signal path in the north and south bridges, and code in FCP X.

The fact is, 13 inches is not professional in size, should never have been called pro, it is a junk range, sold and Mr Cook is laughing!!

Mr Cook and Mr Ive know it is a terrible system, how anyone can with a straight face say it is a good system is beyond me, it should not have been sold, is a disaster, Mavericks is a joke...Airplay does not work from mac laptop to ipad... All sorts of small errors that on their own mean very little, but when you add up all the small faults, you see a company that is confused, it is lost, it simply does not know what it wants...

Apple did not need to submit to the consumer, it should force the consumer to accept that what Apple has determined as best, the consumer wanted hard soldered parts, Apple created 2 laptop ranges in this format...

The Air yes, hard solder the heck out of it, the Air is not professional, it is an ipad with a keyboard.. A MBP is a professional tool, that needs updates, upgrades, replacement, Apple is confused and stupid!!

9. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Honestly, if you don't like and you're not happy with your computer, sell it and get something better. There's no need to troll and b*tch and moan just for attention. Like yjchua95 said, if you want to do 1080p and beyond editing easier then get a 15" rMBP instead of your 13". Better yet, save up for or get some kind of Mac Pro that tends to have 8 cores of CPU processing power or more.

10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Video editing on a 13" screen? No. Just no.

11. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Haha I've done it. I don't remember it being THAT bad.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

1. The mba is not "an ipad with a keyboard". A huge difference there.

2. Laptops have contained soldered parts for quite some time. :apple: just soldered (almost) everything now.

3. You can easily do some medium load video editing on a rmbp. I have the base 8/256 and its snappy.

4. If you rely on heavy video editing. Why on earth did you buy a 13" rmbp? :confused:

13. MikeVera macrumors member

+1

14. yabot macrumors regular

i only video edit every now and then, not a full time job or anything. i've actually gone and bought the 13inch middle specced one and going to trial it in comparison for a week or so to the 15inch. so far the first difference i've seen the screen is very warm?