FCPx on Mountain Lion ???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Magrathea, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Magrathea macrumors regular

Is it faster? Can you play back AVCHD files natively?

Comments, I've downloaded ML but haven't the b0lls to click on the icon and install it yet!

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Was that even in the works?
    Ive never heard that in the posts.

3. Magrathea thread starter macrumors regular

No ideas but why of why can I playback 1080p60 in movist just fine - 2009 software but quicktime, the latest version can't do this without stuttering...... :(

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

From my understanding you can already natively edit/playback AVCHD without transcoding first.

5. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

I am always a little reserved to be the first to switch to a new OS after it comes out. For me FCPX is working very well with Lion, so no urgent need on my part to upgrade.

I do wonder if the people that stayed with FCP 7 if that legacy version will even work with Mountain Lion. There has been some talk that it may not work or function properly in ML, but no proof of that has surfaced yet.

6. Magrathea thread starter macrumors regular

Ha ha, funny man. Not on Lion. Not at all. You can rewrap the footage to a .mov then it is all stuttery, but just read this :

AVCHD video
    In Mountain Lion, QuickTime Player makes working with AVCHD video easy. A built-in clip browser shows you the video clips in your AVCHD media. Choose the clip you're interested in to immediately play it back, quickly trim it to the perfect length, and even share it with others.

----------

FCP7 works, check out creative cow, lots of stuff on FCPx and ML.

7. polpol macrumors newbie

FCPx on Mountain Lion ???

So did anyone try the FCPx 10.05 on Mountain Lion ???

8. mBox macrumors 68020

Im sure its fine, I think some have tried it with no issues.
    Try CreativeCow.Net

9. KidneyPi macrumors member

I installed Mountain Lion this morning. FCP X won't start. At first, the icon in the Dock showed it was running. A bunch of what looked like shell scripts popped up and went away quickly in the Dock. Then, it crashed. I reinstalled it from the App Store. After that, it did the same thing, showing the splash screen this time. Fortunately, this machine is for testing and I don't often use FCP X on it.

10. linuxcooldude, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I just tested it on my system using Mountain Lion and FCP X it does indeed playback native AVCHD buttery smooth on my system. But I do have a 8 core Mac Pro. Have not tried editing AVCHD to see if it edits it Natively but may try too just to see if it works.

I believe doing native AVCHD is also CPU intensive so your milage may vary depending on what Mac you use to edit it on.

EDIT: Did do a little research and does seem as you say on Lion. But working in ML seems to work with the files fine.

11. Magrathea thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I grew some b0lls and installed the Lion of the hills. -- wow!

AVCHD is fully accelerate by some Open CL goodness I'm sure. I'm on a Mac Mini so you results may vary but huge improvement and 3x speed increase in transcoding times !!!

See my post here - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1412228

12. polpol macrumors newbie

So, FCP X don't work on Mountain Lion?

Anyone else tried the FCP X on Mountain Lion?

13. templar0707 macrumors newbie

I've installed ML and edited on FCPX. I had no issues at all.

14. KidneyPi macrumors member

I got it working. I backed up my data with Carbon Copy Cloner, then wiped the system, did a clean install of Mountain Lion and FCP X, and manually put my data back. It seems something got screwed up in the process of upgrading over the years from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Any benefits to running FCP X on ML aside from the full screen mode? (Coming from SL)

16. touchlinevideo macrumors newbie

Won't see Archived Files

We work off a drobo where we keep all of our archived files. All of our machines with Lion can access these archives, but the one machine that I upgraded to Mountain Lion can't access these. I get an Unsupported Media error.

Any ideas?

17. mBox macrumors 68020

What version FCPX and (I hope this isnt the case) of QT?
    Ive only had this problem with FCPX 10.0.0 in an After Effects round-trip environment.
    All good now after 10.0.4.

18. touchlinevideo macrumors newbie

updated to 10.0.5, but no help. Still giving the error msg

19. mBox macrumors 68020

20. ralejo macrumors newbie

Optical Flow Broken

I upgraded to ML and all was well...until I tried to slow down a few clips using Optical Flow. It is broken in Mountain Lion :mad: It applies Frame Blending instead and no work-around or solution that I can find. Others are having the same problem on the Apple Discussion boards: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19032626#19032626

I've tried deleting the preference files, deleting the analyzed optical flow files and re-analyzing them, re-importing the original clips...nothing worked. IT'S JUST BROKEN!

Everything else is working to my knowledge except for this.