FCPX on OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by loby, Dec 8, 2015.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Working with OS. X Lion and want to use FCPX.

I have my old 10.06 trial version of FCPX when I first purchased it, but deleted my backups from a few years ago that has my licensed paid version of 10.0.6 of FCPX that runs on OS X Lion.

I installed the old trial version that I have, but the App Store does not recognize the version and I cannot download to update the license because the latest version will not run on Lion, also the App Store will not let us download previous versions. Again, I bought FCPX when it came out, but the the trial version will only run for 30 days.

Any suggestions?

2. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

Upgrade to El Captain or Yosemite and then re-download FCPX from the App Store.
    Or....
    Call Apple and see if they will send you a compatible version of FCPX via download link.

You really should upgrade to FCP 10.2.2, to benefit from the added features and performance.

3. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre

I have to agree. FXP 10.2.2 is a tremendous step past 10.0.6. Well worth upgrading ... or cloning a drive and upgrading, if you want to keep a functional version of OS X Lion.

4. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

I would not recommend running Lion at all, as Lion's performance is terrible and not worth keeping unless you have legacy software. Snow Leopard, Mavericks, Yosemite are all good OSs.

5. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Thanks all who responded so far. Yes, I have legacy software and use Logic 10.0 that works on Lion because I have a few older hardware that uses Rosetta for drivers unfortunately.

What I wanted to do is use my Logictech 910c webcam to record live video to an external drive as a wide angle view 2nd camera. I get excellent HD 1080p from the webcam and the Final Cut Pro X version 10.06 did recognized the webcam in Final Cut Pro to record. But....once I updated the OS X while experimenting, the camera is no longer recognized...?

I put EL Capitan on a second partition and played around with it, but I am concerned about performance. CPU seems to runs more during idle and sometimes laptop is a little hot (might just be in my mind). I have a spare MacBook Pro mid-2010 that I updated the hard drive to SSD and was able to put in 16gb of RAM and it is fast! Gave new life to the laptop!!!

QuickTime recognizes the Webcam, but when it records video, it does not write directly to disk, but in the memory first and creates the data file when completed, so I am limited to RAM memory constraints for long recordings. I want to be able to record a seminar using the webcam as a wide angle (2nd camera). But now Final Cut Pro X is not recognizing the camera any more (?), but only the built in iSight camera.

If anyone has any suggestions how I can do this, may thanks. I am trying out a freeware program called "Deput" that allows you to record screen shots, but also live video stream. I am trying not to buy another camera, plus the small powerful webcam is small enough And doe not take up a lot of room while recording.

6. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

"I put EL Capitan on a second partition and played around with it, but I am concerned about performance. CPU seems to runs more during idle and sometimes laptop is a little hot (might just be in my mind). I have a spare MacBook Pro mid-2010 that I updated the hard drive to SSD and was able to put in 16gb of RAM and it is fast! Gave new life to the laptop!!!"

El Capitan needs a minimum of 4GB of RAM, 8 GB is preferred for anything other than web browsing and email. I've noticed a climb in CPU usage from 10.6 to 10.9 and even on 10.10. There are more background tasks in the newer OSs.

Check your startup task in account settings, make sure no hidden apps/utilities are running.

"QuickTime recognizes the Webcam, but when it records video, it does not write directly to disk, but in the memory first and creates the data file when completed, so I am limited to RAM memory constraints for long recordings. I want to be able to record a seminar using the webcam as a wide angle (2nd camera). But now Final Cut Pro X is not recognizing the camera any more (?), but only the built in iSight camera."

This is strange. Which version of QT are you using, 7, 7 Pro or X? Have you tried other applications such as iMovie?

"If anyone has any suggestions how I can do this, may thanks. I am trying out a freeware program called "Deput" that allows you to record screen shots, but also live video stream. I am trying not to buy another camera, plus the small powerful webcam is small enough And doe not take up a lot of room while recording.

I think you can still run Lion in a VM on Parallels Desktop. This way your can install the latest version of OS X and still have legacy software support. With 16GB of Ram you should be fine running one VM.

7. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Nothing running in the background, but noticed that the CPU seems to be ok with the latest update of El Capitan, but killed my main hardware driver that I use for recording, so I will have to regardless go back to an older OS X. Fortunately, I have macs that are older and still run fine in order to get my older hardware running.

I tried both QuickTime 7 pro and the new 10, but I learned that I will need to disable automatic save and that may resolve the issue. I have been trying out a software called, "screenflow" and that looks promising.

From my understanding, the only OS X that was allowed during the 32-bit to 64-bit transition from Apple is Snow Leopard server and that is the only OS X that was signed off and approved. I of course purchased a copy for that very task and have used VMWare, but....purposely The audio feature is disabled, so running any Audio apps that need a sound card...we are out-of-luck if your hardware requires 32-bit drivers.

I will probably go with "Screenflow" and should do the job for recording video straight from my webcam. iMovie did not recognize the webcam to my surprise, so this may be my only option.

FYI - support for hardware nowadays is limited due to companies basically not concerned with updating their drivers to yearly changes to operating systems. Unless companies make universal "plug-n-play" type of equipment, stay away from the unit. I am tired of buying equipment that only last a couple of years with limited support on updated drivers. People say it is not Apple's fault, but companies do not have to resource or time to continually write drivers, but instead spend more time with developing new products so they can stay in business etc. don't always agree with this, but this is reality.

This yearly cycle of OS X's Is not friendly for the working user who has hardware associated with their mac, we cannot continue to spend just because we purchase a new Mac and Apple should make their new systems backward compatible for OS X's. This is why PC's are more popular in the business or working professional and may have a comeback if Apple continues this trend. Not everyone is a once a year iphone or Apple Watch spender...

8. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

I agree that major OS updates should not be yearly. Each new version of OS X brings number new bugs and removed features. I don't understand why Apple see the need to remove code or features that work and break support for hardware/software! Driver support in OS X is limited at best, and I'm sorry that you are having such a terrible time finding support for an older version of software. I'm not sure how Parallel Desktop handles OS X VMs or sound drivers. Here's a link to Lion in a VM. http://kb.parallels.com/en/112121 The best bet is to contact Apple and see if they can send you a link via the Apple Store for a compatible version of FCPX. Screen flow is a great app for those who need to record voiceovers and create tutorials.
    My experience with Lion was subpar. I have a mac with Lion installed and the thing moves like a turtle! Even with an SSD and 4GB of RAM.