FCPX problem with the 680MX video card

Discussion in 'iMac' started by f64, Mar 27, 2013.

1. f64 macrumors newbie

Well, here I am about to pull the trigger on a fully spec'd Imac and this BS cropped up:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4707372?start=390&tstart=30

I'm buying this primarily for video editing, and this is killing me. The sad thing is that I'm actually thinking of stepping down to the standard 675MX card which I can't believe I'm even considering, but they say FCPX works great with it. Just thought I'd let people know since I haven't seen this problem posted here.

Anyone here run into this freezing problem with FCPX and the 680MX card?

2. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

The 675mx is a more than capable card for FCPX...just look at what people were editing with on a iMac even a few years ago, this cards destroys them all...load up on RAM and get internal or external SSD and you're good to go!

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I bought the 680 knowing about this compatibility issue. Right now, it seems aggravated by text titles... and particularly "pixie dust". I can live without that in the short run.

I just can't imagine that the graphics driver will not be updated to fix this problem. I'd rather live without a few features in the short run, rather than have a less capable machine over its life.

/Jim

4. gaddster macrumors member

I bought the high spec model without knowing about the issue.

The issues of freezing happened initially but with the latest OS release (10.8.3 I think) the freezing problems have reduced but not eliminated.

However I believe the problems also exist in Motion too.

So, a lot of buyers are waiting for FCPX 10.8 to hopefully cure the problem.

PS I never use pixie dust but I do use titles and 3rd party titles like Motype etc

5. f64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's good to know. It's kinda irksome not to get the 2 gig card though. I was planning to ride this computer for a good long time. I may hold out a little longer for the FCPX 10.0.8 update in hopes that all will be well with that. With my luck, I'll order the 675MX and the problem with the 680MX will be fixed even before I receive it.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear others experiences with this issue. It really seems like a dream machine in so many ways but constant freezing and restarts puts a knot in my stomach with a $4K machine. Though I could just work around those problem areas as flynz4 mentioned.

6. gaddster macrumors member

10.0.8 out today and i believe it fixed all issues :)

7. f64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Woo Hoo! Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading people's experiences with it.

8. gaddster macrumors member

If you check the apple forum thread lots of people are testing the 'problem' titles and all working great... phew