FCPX rendering help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by will waters, Aug 2, 2011.

1. will waters macrumors regular

Hi
    I have final cut pro X on 2 machines, a laptop (which is not meant to be compatible with FCPX) and one of the latest most powerful iMacs, apple say that you can use both to render a project or similar, so how do you do this? i have them bot on the same network, what else do i need to do?

Any advice would be really useful as my laptop is struggling, which is what i use for some ( as it is portable)

2. bluap84 macrumors 6502

dont quote me on this, but i dont think its for rendering. I have only noticed that you can share the exporting. havent really looked into it to be fair, as i only have the one comp

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

You can transfer the project and events between machines,
    not aware of being able to distribute the rendering across multiple machines.

If you want to use the laptop ,
    maybe doing a remote session to your desktop assuming your at home
    would be better than running FCPx on the slower laptop?

Just a question, is FCPx crashing on you?

I had numerous beachball hangs/crashes and worst of all auto save has failed more than once.
    Actually really like the program for my uses otherwise.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Are you wanting to let the iMac do the rendering? you can move/copy your project and event to another system. simplest way is to make sure you start the event/project on an external drive. but its possible if you didnt. there's a few tutorials out there on this subject. one I think is at www.fcp.co

Good luck!

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

mbox - do you mean just unplugging the external drive and moving it to the other machine. is it as simple as that was thinking of getting a 1TB self powered drive if it is?

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Yes it is.
    Im using a few G-Tech mini for numerous projects.
    Funny cause FCPX is starting to act like Avid media databases.
    I hated that on the Avid side and now FCPX is doing it too.
    Oh well hard-drives are so cheap.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

Yea this one puzzles me cause it hasnt happened to me yet. Im using it on a 2009 Uni 17" MBP and a few MP 12 cores.
    I do have it on a MP 2008 box but I dont have a clone of me to test this week :(

8. will waters thread starter macrumors regular

yes final cut does crab a fair bit, i am sure it will be fixed with a later release

9. mBox macrumors 68020

The only issue I had so far was FCP7 itself was acting up. I read about the problems and didnt see it for weeks till I installed FCX3 on a new MP along with FCPX on top.
    Just audio hiccups nothing drastic.
    So far 3 systems have both apps running fine (except for that audio hiccup one).