FCPX -> Share to Vimeo

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by elisedriver, Aug 4, 2011.

1. elisedriver macrumors newbie

Having done my first couple of edits on FCPX now, i tried the Share to Vimeo option last night - that is supposed to automate the entire workflow.

Instead of exporting to Compressor, then finding the file and uploading to Vimeo, then setting the options for the file, this is supposed to be a two option pages and click.

What I keep finding is that it does the majority of the work (I can find the finished compressed file on the drive) - and it says the best part of 99% complete for uploading, but seems to hang there. Unlike manual uploading to Vimeo where you can see a placeholder on their webpage for your video being uploaded, you can't see one under FCPX.

Does this work for anyone else with a Vimeo Plus account ?

I need to see if it's just me, a British thing ( 8Meg Broadband) or something else.

(The video in case someone cares : http://www.vimeo.com/27279815 )

2. Thijs Moonen macrumors member

Hi,

I can't get it to work either. FCPX does a great job at compressing (actually it's the separate 'share monitor'), goes to 100%; but then, nothing.

Where do you locate the compressed file? I'll have to upload it manually for the time being.

Thanks,

Thijs

(FCPX, Lion, Vimeo Pro)

3. elisedriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya - I can't remember, as it's been a couple of weeks. I did a spotlight search for it and found it that way.

It really does appear to be the transfer bit that is broken rather than the encoding/compression stage.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I haven't had much luck using the Share to YouTube feature so I'll assume you're having the same problems with Vimeo, my suggesstion is to export using compressor and then simply upload to Vimeo using their upload service. iMovie did a pretty great job at this but FCP isn't consistent.

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with Share to YouTube last night, so ended up cancelling and doing it manually, but there were two copies of the video on YouTube when I checked this morning. I think the feedback FCPX is collecting from the API is incorrect, but the upload is actually working. I could be wrong though - it was a very late hour when I was working on this.

6. bluap84 macrumors 6502

i was having the same issue, so i decided to ditch the whole share thing.

i export to quicktime > compressor 4 > upload.

its a bit long winded, but then i know where all my files are. Not sure though if its actually quicker to upload to vimeo / youtube within FCPX...as via the websites it still seems to take few hours to upload a 3+ 720 movie to vimeo/youtube ?

7. xizar macrumors regular

Contributing my experience on Sharing from FCPX (albeit to YouTube)...

I've only Shared a couple of things, and, while they seemed to take far too long to be reasonable, they did upload correctly. The initial YouTube display of the movie looked like crap, that seemed to have been due to YouTube taking time to encode the higher resolutions, as later in the day, the only crap was due to my lack of skill, rather than heavy pixelation.

8. sperdynamite macrumors member

I use share to vimeo, works pretty well for me. Yeah it hangs at 99% but if you check the log you can see what it's doing. I think that's when it actually uploads the data.