FCPX timeline lag/delay on nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ChromeHeart, May 12, 2014.

1. ChromeHeart macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. I've been working on projects from a Black Magic Cinema Camera shot in Prores 422 (1080p). I import the footage into FCPX, not using proxy media. I'm using a 6-Core / 32GB / D700 nMP setup. My media is being stored on a Lacie 3TB 7200rpm D2 Thunderbolt external drive.

I believe that I didn't have any issues as I started the project, but as the timeline got bigger I noticed some slowdown. I'm working with a movie that is about 5min long now. Whenever I hit spacebar for playback, there is about a 2 second delay. Would this be normal playback behaviour for Prores 422 on this machine? I know it's like a first world problem, but I feel like it should be instant. I'm also getting dropped frames occasionally.

I trashed the preferences and that didn't make much of a difference. Would this problem be resolved if I was using an SSD external instead of the 7200rpm HDD? How about if I had a RAID setup? Should I be editing in proxy media? Just thought this monster of a computer would be able to cut through this footage like butter. Please let me know if any of you have any thoughts or suggestions on this. Would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I have the same issue when working with ProRess 4444 of my Lacie TB D2 external. I think it's down to the drive spinning down, and simple not being able to catch up in time.

When working off the Internal SSD I never have that 1-2 second delay when hitting space bar for playback.
    I should note, I have the exact same issue with my USB 3.0 WD MyBook as well, and once again the issue is not there with the SSD.

I'm probably going to get a mix of external SSD, and Lacie D5 RAID once the TB2 version is out, and then just back up those to my current externals.