FCPX with Mac Mini?

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I use FCPX to a basic level with 1080p projects at the moment, but would like to move towards 4K soon, to edit video shot with a Mavic 2, GoPro, etc - in the HEVC codec.

Ive been waiting for a new iMAC refresh, but doesn't seem like that's coming, and Im not fond of an 'all-in-one design either.

Hence Im leaning towards a new Mac Mini with the i7 CPU, and upgrading the RAM to 32GB.

Main concern is the GPU. Will it be enough for 4K video editing (without using proxy files) or would I need to consider the eGPU also?
If the latter, I understand FCPX is not optimised to work with the eGPU in the first instance??

StoneJack

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2009
Yea, was wondering same question. OK, you go buy the mini and tell us about your experience :)

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus

StoneJack

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2009
I am 90% positive it will be fine, as the i7 has hardware acceleration components for decoding 4k HEVC, so you will be able to edit flawlessly. However I don't know the performance of the mini when rendering clips with effects applied as it has a weak internal GPU.
But as I've seen, FCPX supports the use of an eGPU as you can see here http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/2115-how-one-checkbox-just-might-change-the-way-you-work-with-final-cut-pro-x .
Yes, thats' the way to go or maybe iMac a better solution

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
No matter which Mac you choose, I will -guess- that for smooth 4k editing you're going to want to use "proxy media".

Otherwise, the speeds may be "less than satisfactory"...

Reactions: BeechFlyer

dandeco

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I use Final Cut Pro X on my 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini a lot. (Just updated to 10.4.4, too!) It does help that the RAM is maxed out to 16 GB. So far my highest resolution is 1080 HD, but the Mini can edit it on FCP X pretty well. I presume it's set to use proxy media for high-definition files, but it's still pretty good. So I'd imagine it'd even be a bit better on the brand new Mac Minis, though for 4K video proxy media might be ideal.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
It really comes down to what you are going to be doing effects wise. FCPX is not so much CPU centered until you get to exporting and compression and alot of that will be mitigated by Intel QuickSync as others have mentioned. The biggest gains in performance will come from a dedicated GPU. If you're doing anything in 4k beyond basic editing without using proxy files at a reduced resolution, you are really going to want that eGPU