FCPX - Youtube time and size limits out of date.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iHateMacs, Sep 4, 2011.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Hi, are the size and time limits for Youtube in FCPX hard coded?

It keeps telling me the limit is 15 minutes and 2GB.

Is this read from youtube or hard coded into FCPX. Either way it's wrong and is a pain.

I had a message from Youtube saying I am no longer limited to 15 minutes and I believe the file size limit is not 20GB.

I know I can export first then upload to youtube but it's easier to do it from FCPX direct and I have no need to the video on my local machine.

2. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

As far as I know you need to export yourself and then upload to YouTube for files over the 2GB or 15min limit.

4. msimon macrumors newbie

There's a 15 minute limit on video uploaded to Youtube. However, it appears that they are removing this limit in the future. There's tools out there for uploading the video to Youtube which will automatically split it up into equal sized chunks. What you would need to do is export it to a stand alone Quicktime file and then import it into one of these tools that will upload it to Youtube.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Actually Google removes this limit for some users. However uploading 15min+ files from Final Cut Pro using the YouTube Share option doesn't work because it imposes the limit whether or not your account has had the restrictions removed. Like I said, export/compress first, then upload using this link.
    Proof that there is no 15 minute limit for some users.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Its probably always a good idea to have at least some type of copy on your machine whether it be a 20GB Lossless* Apple ProRes copy or just a decent H.264 copy. If there is a video I make that I don't think I'll need to reupload I'll export it in H.264 and then recompress it with handbrake using a smaller bit rate...I don't necessarily need a 13mbps 1080p video but I like to store maybe a 6mbps copy on my external...just a suggestion...I'm known to be a pack rat of computer files so take it with a grain of salt :D :D:cool: