FCS 3 update to Lion mid project.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chaos123x, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I would like to upgrade to Lion from snow leopard so I can use the new icloud features when my iPhone 4s comes in.

Do think updating to lion will mess up my project I am currently editing in FCP 7?

Anyone do this yet? Any negative results?

I know it is generally not reccomeded because of unknown bugs in new software and what not, but lion has been around for a minute.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Besides the general flakiness of Lion i don't see a problem. You decide what is more important to you: Finishing your project without headache or install something that will only be useful for a toy** you will receive in two weeks.

**"toy" used for rhetoric.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Buy a 2nd HDD and install Lion on that.

Should moving up to Lion cause a problem? No. Will moving up to Lion cause a problem? Who knows. No sense in tempting fate, IMO.

Lethal

4. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

While it shouldn't be an issue, I tend to agree with Lethal considering all the bugs floating around the system.

I would also recommend, in case you want Lion to be on your internal drive, to use a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your current SL system to an external drive and to test it. If it works well, then upgrade to Lion on your internal hard drive and if things don't work out, boot off the external drive when you work.

I wish I had done that myself. While FCP works on Lion, I got one other audio program that is not fully compatible with Lion yet.

5. ruledbysecrecy macrumors newbie

Rule of thumb is never upgrade an OS or make major system changed during a project...just wait, what's the rush?

6. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

This ^^

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

That rule is not engraved in stone. Some projects last years and upgrading is necessary sometimes because of upgrading the actual computer or because of the various formats that start to compile after some time especially in documentaries. Some other projects are done on more than one computer by different editors and while the NLE version must be compatible, the running OS can be different as in the projects done on Media Composer that sometimes get exchanged even between Windows and OSX machines.