FCS on MacBook

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lildude9, Dec 19, 2010.

1. lildude9 macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for any replies, I am new to forum. I am interested in shooting/editing a video for my upcoming wedding. Through friends and co-workers I have access to FCS for a decent price. I will be shooting this video with a Canon Vixia HF S200. Though I have limited editing experience, I do have resources that can help me with any newbie issues I may come across. My question is can I get away with running FCS on my Macbook 13" aluminum unibody? I see that I do meet the system requirements and I am prepared to upgrade RAM from 2 to 4.

Being that I am getting married and budgets are tight, I'm clearly trying to get away with spending as little money as possible. I'm aware that I "should" upgrade to iMac, MCP, etc. Curious to see if anyone has had experience with pulling it off on a Macbook.

Thanks again

2. -DH macrumors 65816

While Apple doesn't officially support any of the FCS apps on a MacBook, many people are able to use FCP, Compressor and DVD Studio Pro without problems. Don't expect Motion or Color to perform well at all.

That said, the biggest drawback to the MacBook is the lack of a Firewire port or other connectivity for storing media and render files. Both Apple and FCP users highly recommend storing media and render files on a Firewire or eSATA hard drives. The boot drive can get bogged down quickly working when video editing while also running the OS, applications and various background processes. USB drives are NOT recommended due to the fact that they transfer data in packets (short bursts).

-DH

3. nerdo macrumors regular

Exactly what DH said, I have two 13" unibody macbooks and compared to my 15" ones, that is it, exactly what DH summed up.