FCS Upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mooseface, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mooseface macrumors member

Im not going to lie, I've got a torrented version of FCS2 on my Mac Pro at the moment. I'm a film student so don't make any money off of it and cant afford to buy the full version. My question is will the educational/upgrade version of FCS3 upgrade the d/l version? Again, I won't be using it to make money at the mo but I'm fed up with torrenting good software.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm glad you're coming over from the dark side :)

If you buy the academic version of FCS3 there is no need to "upgrade". It is the full version of the software.

Hope this helps!

3. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

I had heard that the educational version was basically just the upgrade? If not, that's awesome! Also, would I be able to upgrade the educational version to another ed. version? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The EDU version is a complete, full version of the app. EDU versions aren't upgradeable.

Lethal

5. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

6. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

FCS is incredible. Loose the torrent and look for an old version on Amazon. Last month I decided to hunt for an old version. On eBay they tend to go for high prices but on Amazon I found FCP version 1.2.1 shipped for $33. It arrived and I called Apple to make sure it was upgradeable and purchased the upgrade from Amazon for $262 shipped so I got into a full version for the price of the upgrade. The EDU version sells for $499 at the university where I work but is $899 from Apple. The trouble is it is not upgradeable when the new version comes out.

7. Illmetaphor macrumors member

real talk...there is no point of wasting a lot of money on getting FCS 3.

8. mooseface thread starter macrumors member

I have also been thinking that. As there are no massively new features and I'm not earning my living from using it I may wait until the next installment, which will hopefully come out before I finish Uni! Anyone know a rough time frame?

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP is usually refreshed about every two years.

Lethal