FCS2 - Can my hardware take it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sk3pt1c, Jun 14, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i've read this somewhere in the past but couldn't find it in the forum so i'm posting my question:

will FCS2 run on a Powerbook?
    i know it will be really slow, but i don't really care since i won't be using it for a living, just for fun and home movies and so on, i plan to get a macPro in the near future so i'd like to learn FCS2 for then...
    i think i read something about final cut pro specifically, it requires a better graphics card or something?
    is there a setting i need to change somewhere?
    if you can find the relevant topic, please link it here, or else thanks in advance for your advice!
    :)

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

which powerbook do you have, it should run on the later ones at least.

3. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Final Cut really great but i don't think that your computer can quite handle it, I've only used Final Cut (studio 1) at my schools film lab, but i do know that to run "Motion" you need to have over 1 GB of RAM.

I don't think that you need a good graphics card, there isn't really anything graphics intensive, when you run a movie in it, it should only be about as graphics intensive as running something in Quicktime.

(edit)
    Whats the speed of your processor?

4. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i have the latest revision of the powerbook with the 1.67 g4 and 2gb of ram.
    final cut pro 5 worked fine, even though it was slow (of course)
    as well as the previous versions of Motion, livetype, compressor and dvd studio pro...
    i just think i read somewhere that the new final cut pro demands a better graphics card and you need to change some setting or something to make it run... :confused:

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Here is the specs page. It looks like you are good for FCP and Motion, but your graphics card doesn't cut it for Color. You might consider a faster external HD for your Final Cut files, you might find that speeds things up a little bit (especially if you didn't get the 7200 rpm drive in your Powerbook).

6. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i think i'll be ok then, i do have the 7200 drive.
    it'll probably be as slow as the last one, i can deal with it.
    i'm still quite sure i read something about changing some file
    for final cut pro specifically though... maybe i misread the post
    or something...

7. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

right, everything works fine so far, Color will probably be the slowest running of them all, but what the heck, i'm happy i can actually have and run these apps :)
    thanks guys