FCS2 needs Rosetta?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cgbier, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Had to rebuild my MBP from scratch yesterday thanks to a bug in the App Store I couldn't get rid off.
    Once I attempted to reinstall FCS2 (still waiting for an upgrade to that one - FCS3 didn't really cut it for me), I was told that FCS needs Rosetta and asked me to install it. After the Rosetta install, FCS was loaded perfectly into the machine.
    Does that mean that you won't be able install FCS under Lion? If I upgrade from SL, I want to do an install from a wiped drive.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The installer for FCS 2 may be PPC-based (I don't know this for sure), but the applications themselves are universal.

Seeing that Lion discontinues Rosetta, you're probably SOL on doing a clean install of FCS 2 on a Lion system. But keep in mind that FCS 2 is 4 years old and if you really need to keep it around, you'll probably want to stick to Snow Leopard.

FCS 3 is Intel-only (at least officially), so that one should be using an Intel installer. I'd upgrade if you can find a reasonably priced used copy because it's now discontinued. :p FCS 3 (cough...FCS 2.5) does update the apps a bit and adds more ProRes codecs.

3. cgbier thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's why I was holding out on 2 until a "real" upgrade was coming... and we have (had) the one or the other G4 and 5 in the office. Slowly moving into Intels now. But having only Lion available in future and not being able to downgrade a new machine to SL and  pulling FCS from the shelfs is a bit of a bummer (our office admin can still buy PCs with XP...)

Don't wanna blow into that FCP X blows horn in this thread - there are enough already.

Found it out meself: It is the installer that is PPC. The rest is Fat Code already.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, I eventually upgraded to FCS 3 out of necessity. Some of the other editors I work with upgraded and FCP 6 won't read project files created with FCP 7. That was my primary reason, anyway.

I don't like what Apple is doing with FCS one bit. Basically, they reduced it to red-headed stepchild status. Hopefully, FCP X will evolve into something usable in a professional editing environment. But if a year goes by without much hope for improvement, I'll have to start looking elsewhere, which is sad because I've been cutting on FCP for several years.