FCutX or Premier for 2011 Mac Book Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dinsley, Feb 15, 2016.

1. dinsley macrumors newbie

What's your advice for editing software? I have a 2011 Mac Book Pro 13", 2.3 Ghz Proc, 4G memory., running OS 10.11.3 I used to work with FCP before my upgrading killed it. And iMovie can't handle higher resolution media that I'll need. I am looking for simple edits. Nothing graphics heavy or full of effects.Thanks.

2. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

Final Cut Pro X and Premiere are both good. Both offer a free trial that you can use to see which one you like better.

Coming from the classic FCP myself, I went the FCP X route, and I don't regret my choice.

3. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Final Cut X is for amateur video editing. Premiere Pro CC is the way to go.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Interesting opinion.

Of course one could also argue that 2011 MacBooks are not for professional Video editing but both arguments are irrelevant. The OP is looking for "simple edits. Nothing graphics heavy or full of effects."

I don't know why you can't use iMovie - do you mean your source is higher resolution than iMovie's 4k limit, or that your machine struggles? FCPX uses proxy footage which makes light work of heavy files.

I just cancelled my Premiere Pro subscription after Adobe's latest security breach and after trialling FCPX. The money savings alone make Final Cut a no-brainer and the overall experience is miles better, even though I have to transcode HEVC footage.

5. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

Well, I wasn't sure how to respond to the earlier post. But then what do I know? Apparently I'm just doing amateur video editing. ;)

6. Unami macrumors 6502a

what strange irony then, that premiere seems to be the amateur's nle of choice.

i use both, but 90% of my professional work is done in fcpx, because it's way faster and has less bugs than premiere. sure, premiere has lots of features, but also lots of them deliver mediocre results that dedicated software can do better. sure, dynamic linking with ae or photoshop is nice and having fully mixable audio-tracks too. but in the end, i spend most of the time in a nle cutting video, and when time is money, nothing beats the solution one can get the fastest results with.

7. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Below are some of the answers the last time this was posted:

FCP X is often used professionally and the $100 million feature film Focus was edited entirely in FCP X:http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/in-action/focus/

Other TV shows are edited on FCP X: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/new...he-rescue-gets-cut-on-final-cut-pro-x-for-nbc

Tour de France coverage edited on FCP X: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1480-editing-the-tour-de-france-on-final-cut-pro-x

FCP X used in enterprise-scale TV production: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...o-x-in-enterprise-level-television-production

The upcoming Tina Fey film "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" is being edited on FCP X, as is the upcoming Science Fiction film Geostorm:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostorm

Complete walkthrough of a seven-camera professional event that was recently edited on FCP X. They shot one terabyte per day using Sony field production cameras. FCP X was used to edit a four-hour, seven-camera timeline, of which they had three different versions open: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...edit-the-bioneers-25th-anniversary-conference

A&E Network "OJ Speaks" documentary edited on FCPX: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...r-a-e-documentary-o-j-speaks-the-hidden-tapes

National Geographic Space Shuttle Challenger documentary edited on FCPX: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...g-and-love-final-cut-pro-x?platform=hootsuite

8. boch82 macrumors 6502

Back to the OP's question...both pieces of software will run on the machine.

Software is just a tool. Anyone can learn how to edit on any piece of software. That doesn't make you an editor. Professional editors can use whatever tool they would like to complete a project.

I personally do not use FCPX because its a different way of thinking when in the edit suite. Not that is doesnt have some features that benefit certain projects, but its just not for me.

For long form pieces, like a tv show or doc, I prefer Avid. The collaboration features are by far the best when you have multiple editors in the same project.

For short form (promos, web video) projects Premiere Pro is my go to. I can pull whatever format footage in and encode to spec on output. Its also a very easy interface and plays nicely with most file types. Its biggest downfall is collaboration.

So my advice, pick the tool that works best for you and your project.

9. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I may be guessing here, but I suspect the OP is not a professional, at least not yet. Otherwise, why ask? I think the answer comes down to either economics and/or ecosystem. FCPX is pay once, and then essentially never again. PP is subscription - stop paying means stop using. By ecosystem, I mean who can help you learn this, and what your friends/cohorts/clients are using. They are both very capable programs, though FCP doesn't necessarily show everything at first look. One of the areas FCPX shines is ENG - it's very capable and fast with edits that enable you to put together a professional looking clip in short order. Easy, too, once you know how!

10. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

I use both Premiere Pro CC and FCPX professionally. Re "back to the OP's question" and "use what works best for you", the OP stated his computer has 4GB RAM. This does not even meet the Adobe's recommended spec for running Premiere Pro on OS X. It will physically run, but Adobe does not recommended it.

Apple also suggests more than 4GB RAM -- if editing 4k. But the OP did not state anything about 4k.

Since the OP's computer does not meet Adobe's recommended spec for Premiere Pro, and since they already have experience with Final Cut, I'd recommend they use FCPX.

11. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I don't think 4GB or RAM will be enough for Premiere CC. I use it with 8GB of RAM and it works well encoding high bit rate SLR footage at 1080p. Having evaluated my own memory pressure, I don't think 4GB will work well. It might with FCP.

Is this a dual-core processor? You might have trouble with either unless you are running a quad-core. Premiere CC maxes my 2015 quad-core out on export.

12. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre

4GB of RAM is a little light for either Premiere or FCPX, plus El Cap likes more RAM to begin with. I would suggest installing as much RAM as you can. I'm using 8GB on a 2009 MBP and 16GB on a 2013 rMBP with FCPX.

13. dinsley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx everyone! I did upgrade to 8GB ram. And I will try to upload my ProRes media to iMovie and see what happens. Then move on to FCP. And no, I'm not a professional editor - I'm a professional cinematographer. I use editing software for demo reels. Thanks again for all the replies. Cheers.