FCX 10.1 - Hangs at Startup

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alksion, Dec 25, 2013.

1. alksion, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I am experiencing a slight freeze with FCX 10.1 when the application is waiting to open at the splash screen. I have a maxed out 27" iMac with a PCIe SSD and the application takes 10 seconds or more to load. During this time, the pin wheel spins until the application's launch. It looks like the application is crashing, but eventually it'll open. This does not seem normal.

I've tried:
    - Reinstalling the application
    - Running all updates
    - Removing all external devices
    - Deleting the main library and creating a new one
    * This worked when opening the application with the newly created library for the first time. It opened right away like I thought it should with no problems. However, after quitting the application and reopening FCX, it goes right back to hanging at the splash screen. Because of this, I think it has something to do with libraries, but I don't know why.

If anyone else has experienced something similar, please confirm. Furthermore, if anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. Thanks!

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Interesting, where are you saving your library files? Try external and see if it still hangs.

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

First off, thank you for the quick reply! I was saving the libraries directly to my PCIe SSD. I tried your suggestion with an external USB3 to no avail.

I cannot understand why it'll open up perfectly on a new library and then revert back to hanging at the splash screen for a bit.

I found that sometimes clearing the recent libraries also causes FCX to open quickly, but this does not always work.

Here's what I discovered and I hope it helps.
    1. I created the first and only library called "test" and the application opens fine.
    2. Quitting the application and reopening that library "test" yields my current problem every time.
    3. I created a second library called "test 2" and the application opens fine.
    4. Quitting the application and holding down the control key on the dock application before opening allows me to select library "test 2" or library "test."
    5. If I select "test 2", FCX opens perfectly and smoothly every time. If I select "test" or simply click the application without selecting a library manually before hand, we run into my issue upon opening.

Thinking it was a problem related to the "test" library, I remove it in FCX, quit the application and drag the "test" library to the trash. Attempting to open FCX with what I think is the working (test 2) library, my problem is back again. You can repeat this process as many times as you'd like, with the same results.

Sorry for all the information, but I appreciate you taking the time to help me!

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Interesting indeed. I'm not having that issue on my early 2011 15" Macbook Pro. I know you're on Mavericks but did you update to 10.9.1?

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Yes and this is on a clean install of 10.9.1 and fresh install of FCX 10.1.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Above my pay grade, I would send Apple feedback on that one. The only other thing I could think of is to open FCP with both libraries, then close the original "test" library, close FCP and then reopen.

7. alksion, Dec 26, 2013

alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I found the solution! I don't why this worked, but it did! When I was creating new libraries, I was doing it in the actual final cut application. Instead I followed these instructions from Apple's troubleshooting basics.

"You can isolate issues with libraries by creating a new, empty library when opening Final Cut Pro X. This will demonstrate that Final Cut Pro X is working as expected with a new library. Then, you can open and close your libraries one at a time until you are able to reproduce the issue and identify an affected library.

To create a new library, first quit Final Cut Pro. Then, Option-click the Final Cut Pro application icon in the Dock and click New to create a new library."

Doing it with this method worked as opposed to creating a new library directly in the application. I don't know why, but I am not complaining! It takes about 5 seconds to load after a restart, but then opens in a split second every time after that. I hardly ever restart my system so it's not a problem.

One last quick question for you. Is normal for it to always say restoring window layout on the splash screen? It only says it for a half second, but I just want to make sure this is what it should be doing.

8. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Great information! Thanks for sharing that. Yes, regarding the splash screen.

9. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm sorry to inform, it's back to doing it again... This is very frustrating. It was working fine..

10. alksion, Dec 26, 2013

alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I tested FCX in a new account, no problems whatsoever. I don't know what's different in my account that's causing it. I hope this helps.

Edit: As soon as I add my iCloud account to the test account, the problem begins occurring in the test account as well.

11. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I also recommend sending Apple feedback.

12. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I will. I just wish I could solve this. Thanks for the help. I shall report back if I figure it out.

13. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Can you guys confirm that you are using iCloud on you Mac with 10.1 not exhibiting any of my symptoms?

14. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I'm using iCloud and have no problems.