FCX Copy Partial Clip to a Different Library

macfcx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
I am trying to copy part of a clip from one library to another. I notice when I do this, it copies the entire clip over. Many of my clips are over 1 hour long.
Essentially, if I just want 2 minutes of a 1 hour clip, how do I do this without copying the entire hour.
Sorry if this is a simple question.
Thanks for any help.

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There may be better ways. I brute force it by creating a new project and place the video snip you want in it, share it and import the resulting video into the other Library.

Last edited:
Reactions: macfcx

sevoneone

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
This is one of those features that is still missing from classic Final Cut Pro IMO. You used to be able to export an entire projects clips and set in and out handles. It made archiving projects so easy.

Reactions: macfcx

macfcx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
There may be better ways. I brute force it by creating a new project and place the video you want in it, share it and import the resulting video into the other Library.
There may be better ways. I brute force it by creating a new project and place the video you want in it, share it and import the resulting video into the other Library.
Thanks, looks like this might be what I have to do. Am kind of surprised there isn’t an easier way from the comments I have seen.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2015
random
What about leaving the media files in place when importing them? Using your own folder structure of course, that way only the reference to the clip will be copied from one library to another.

Since I have several projects using 200+ GBs of media, that is the best way for me.