FCX News

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pdpfilms, May 20, 2011.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Why is Apple all quiet on the FCX front? Last we heard was from the "sneak peek" at NAB. There are still tons of technical details needing to be addressed, not to mention the fate of the rest of the suite. With June just over a week away (and the start of the announced release period), hopefully we'll be hearing something soon.

I've scoured the web, but has anyone dug up new details? FCX appears to have the potential for huge workflow improvements, but the true usability has yet to be shown outside of a Keynote setting.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Maybe they'll say something during WWDC? Maybe it will be a quiet release the way FCP 7 was? Who knows... I wouldn't expect FCP X to be available until the very end of the month though.

Lethal

3. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

no news is .. not good news

Nope nothing. :mad:

Been trawling the net too, and not found a thing.
    I wonder if there are any beta versions of FCX out there. I'd love to get my hands on a version :p
    But instead i downloaded iMovie 11… YUCKY YUCK YUCK! :(

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

To be honest, I haven't expected any further news on FCX, but I did think we'd hear more about the other apps. A little surprised by that, but I'll just keep on keeping on until news pops up :) I except something at WWDC though.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

From a single source who asked his Apple source about betas, I was told that so far they are not doing betas. This person has been part of past beta programs and even written a book on one of the FSC apps.

I can't imagine that Apple will completely skip betas, but perhaps they'll do it late and keep it very limited.

If they say anything at WWDC regarding FCS, it will be under the NDA sessions and would likely be limited to; This technology/framework/scripting/XML is used/available in the new Final Cut apps. I'm sure there will be several developers at WWDC who want to know if there current add-ons to FCS will work in the upcoming FCS apps.

6. knello macrumors member

knello

Apple does do betas for FCP, and they have been beta testing FCPX for months. However, it's a closed beta to a hand-picked group of professionals who are all bound by a non-disclosure agreement. Some of them were allowed to blog about it during NAB, and that's all the information you're going to get until Apple announces something officially. Everything else would be a rumor.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

I do not remember seeing even one blog entry where someone said they are a beta tester for the new FCPX. Links? These people might be the first with some decent information when FCPX is releases.

8. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Professionals are far more likely to adhere to their NDA's. This is why you haven't heard anything.

This isn't an open beta where any Joe Schmoe with $99 can download the beta and then blog detailed reports of what is supposed to be under NDA.

Industry professionals were handpicked to be beta testers and they have no reason to risk the trust that Apple put in them.

The countdown is on. FCP X will be out in 5 weeks max, or as soon as 1 week from today.

9. xStep macrumors 68000

I don't recall seeing any blog entries regarding people having betas as knello indicated. Sure, I could have easily missed that. :)

I agree, this group of pros are far less likely to break their NDA. I wouldn't expect any of them to speak publicly until the product is officially available. If the thin information I have holds true, then there are leaks. Small ones at least.

The countdown continues. :D

10. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

What I'm curious about is pricing. They have stated $299 for FCPX. But is that for new users, or is that the upgrade price? (I'm going to guess it's for new users, so then the question becomes will there be an upgrade price.) But then, as it has been mentioned here, what about the rest of the suite? Is there going to be an extra cost for those apps, and if so how much?

There seem to be a lot of unknowns at the moment. I'm actually wondering they're going to roll the individual apps into one single giant program?

11. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure $299 is the price for FCPX alone and no upgrade pricing will be available. At least that's the impression I get. This is basically a new piece of software.

No one knows about the rest of the suite, but I'd guess they'd be sold separately at additional cost. And I'm sure there will be an option to by the entire suite together.

12. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

That's the impression I'm getting too. I've gotten so used to $299 for a full suite upgrade that paying more will be disappointing, though not unexpected. I just don't want to pay $1000+ for everything again.

13. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

No-one is sure about the existence of the rest of the suite let alone how it will be packaged.

The rumours have Color as dead-ending, Cinema Tools talk is non-existent, DVD SP - some say yay and some say nay, not much talk about STP. Of most concern is Motion...

14. totoum macrumors member

Well that's why you don't see any blog entries,however if you watch the video of the FCP X sneak peek,it's mentioned that they've been doing closed beta testing.

15. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

One rumor I heard was that Color was being incorporated into FCP, so that's why I'm wondering if they may be making some uber pro app instead of individual ones.

16. xStep macrumors 68000

That must have went right over my head. ;)

17. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Well the rumour I heard said the same things, but the Color pros aren't happy about that, since they expect FCP X to only have a subset of what Color can currently do. Makes sense, Apple has always been about doing what 90% of people want 90% of the time.

There are alternatives to Color, and if your business is colour correction, then buying them is a viable proposition.

18. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

He could be referring to Larry Jordan. Larry was one of a group of 10 Very Lucky People who got to see an early sneak peek of FCP X back in Feb (IIRC) and he blogged some broad, vague descriptions. Very broad. Very vague.

He blogged much more in depth after the release of the official sneak peek (if that makes sense).

Larry referred to shadowy Beta Testers, but he wasn't one of them.

Some people I associate with Motion have been unusually quiet for about 6 months so hopefully that's a sign that something good is coming from that end of the suite.

19. xStep macrumors 68000

The last thing I heard about Motion was that the Motion group was tying up final loose ends for a release. Beyond that, I got nothing.

As for the betas. If Apple even has betas out there, they are being extremely limited with the distribution number. One would have to wonder (or speculate) why in such a late stage near the release. We'll all know soon.