F'd up my keyboard..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DH54, Jun 6, 2012.

1. DH54, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012

DH54 macrumors newbie

I recently spilt tea on my Macbook pro's keyboard (accident of course) and I did a good job cleaning they keyboard, but when I was putting the keys back on, i F'd up the f,b,j and the , keys. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

So yeah, the keys are broke. There's NO way I can put the J and the F keys on b/c the metal brackets that are supposed to clip on to the mechanism (the plastic thing that makes the key actually work) are broke. Yes. Broke. But I can order some replacement keys for the B and , keys and put them on b/c the metal brackets are not broke on the inside.

Do you think apple will replace it for free if I'm still eligible with my one year warranty? If not, how much will it cost?

2. Laco macrumors 6502

You should consider yourself very lucky that the computer still works! Many of those that spill liquid on their keyboard destroy the logic board. Apple does not repair accidental damage - it is very obvious that is what happened here. However, you can always try, you never know maybe they will do it.

3. DrKockter macrumors member

only one way to find out, take her to the store, and beg

im sure it wouldnt cost much for them to give u a few keys

4. Surely Guest

Surely

IF you're lucky, the Apple Store may have a few extra keys lying around in the back where they do the repairs, and they'll give them to you. However, because you spilled on your MBP and did the repair job yourself (which caused the keys to break), they are under no obligation to give them to you.

You may have to pay, you may not. Depends on your luck.

5. DH54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank god it does. It was a whole cup of tea too. Idiot me, right when it happened I turned it upside down thinking all the tea would pour out (most of it did) but the display turned off and i cleaned all the tea out I could with water and a towel and restarted w/ the power button and it worked. Thank god.

----------

Well it's the Apple store in Memphis so, idk how nice they are there I've only been there a few times, never went there for a repair though.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

The worst thing you did there was turn it on right away. You're supposed to leave it off and let it dry out for a couple of days. You are VERY lucky it works, but don't be surprised if it starts to act weird in the coming weeks.

7. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Once you do get it fixed, id recommend you get a moshi keyboard cover. It could have saved the hassle.

8. DH54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did. I turned it off and cleaned it and let it dry. Then turned it on. I watched a tutorial on YouTube haa.