Fear of buying iPhone 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tclare, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Tclare macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I am currently using an awful mobile phone and I desperately need an upgrade. Potentially next month I will have enough money to buy an iPhone 3GS on an 18 month contract. What I'm worried about is that when iPhone OS 4 and the new iPhone comes out around June time, my 3GS will look featureless in comparison and I'll regret not hanging on. My phone at the moment could probably hang on until June, but it would be a painful couple of months. What would you guys do if put in my situation? Another factor to take into account is that I am after a 32gig version, so there's potential for a price drop in June. Ohh... It's all so confusing. :/

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just realize that you can get by without a cellphone. So I'd wait as long as possible before getting a new phone.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What exactly is making your phone so awful and in need of an upgrade?
    What is it that will make it so painful to hang on for a few months?

I don't understand

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. just o macrumors newbie

If the phone is that bad I would go buy a Go phone, slip my sim card in it and wait.

5. matttye macrumors 601

Wait. It's only 4-5 months away, and even if the latest and greatest iPhone doesn't tickle your fancy, the other versions will see a price drop.

6. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Do we know that the new iPhone is coming on June?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, we do not
    Just speculation

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. matttye macrumors 601

No but all of the others have been released in June/July.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

And Schiller said last year “…the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June)."

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Would have been nice if he had given the MBP cycle
    We could have solved the Arrandale Thread right here

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

At this point I would wait. We can't guarantee, but I think most expect a new iPhone in the June area.

12. Cask Guest

Buy now, if June comes and the 4th gen is a really awesome update and you must have it, sell the 3gs and buy the 4th gen.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The sales tend to slump quite a lot in the next few months because a new model is expected so I don't think Apple have got a lot of choice.

14. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Just think...it's only 4 "painful" months vs. 18 painful months of having the "old" iPhone instead of the new one!

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

like steve said. if you wait wouldnt you just keep waiting for the next gen and never buy anything?:confused:

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. You buy when the product is new. That way it stays new longer.

17. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You got what 4 months until a new iPhone? Do you really want to live 4 months without an iPhone. Look technology will always change, just get a 3GS be happy and get an iPhone 5 when it comes out. Or if the iPhone 4 is really that great then sell your 3GS and open a new line on your account to buy a subsidized iPhone.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The OP is in the UK so this is not an option.

19. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an upgrade credit at the start of March, and thinking of picking up an iPhone 3GS. I can upgrade every 18 months on my plan with Bell in Canada.

Yes, you could buy the 3GS now and in 4 or 5 months see the new iPhone come out and feel like you have old technology.

BUT. On the flip side, you will be eligible for an upgrade 18 months from now, which would put you in line for an upgrade to the 2011 iPhone which would be even more advanced than the upcoming 2010 model.

Just a bit of a different perspective.

20. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS two days ago. I didn't want to play the waiting game and there's a HUGE difference between the performance of 3G and 3GS. Also, I've learned that being one of the first to adopt a new technology or new product line means you're possibly going to be facing production issues, so I usually skip rev A scenarios.

I'll be quite happy with my 3GS...already enjoying it, in fact. But really, if I want the next generation when it is released to the masses, there's nothing that's going to stop me from getting it. I'll just do it smartly, if it even comes to that (sell my 3G or GS, or sell both, then take the money and use it to purchase the next phone).

Honestly, I don't believe in the 'get it later' statements or the 'if you get it now, you'll be obsolete in a few months'. With anything nowadays, your purchase is obsolete the second it is released to the masses.

If you want/need it, just get it...you're already answering your question (to the OP).

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What makes the next iphone a rev A product....? couldnt you say the 3gs was a rev A as it used a different cpu and all that jazz:rolleyes:

22. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking I shouldn't have to tell you this and maybe it is more of the way I chose my wording, but...

Every time an Apple product is revamped, that particular revamp has certain issues that the previous iteration didn't/doesn't have. Such issues are usually sorted out over time. I don't know about you but I don't want to buy a new flashy phone only to be forced to be a beta tester. I prefer trusted and proven technology. If that means I have to lag behind on my purchases by a year or so, so be it.

When Nissan's Titan was rolled out (2003, I believe), I wanted it so bad. I'm glad I passed, because that year's truck had a serious rotor issue that generated several technical bulletins (and maybe a recall...dunno). Those who waited and bought the truck the next year didn't have to deal with that crap. This happens with almost everything (at some point in time) that is mass-produced but its enough of an issue that I try to avoid being the first to own a new or revamped product.

Basically, there's usually a price to pay for being an early adopter of any product. That's my view. You don't have to share it but its worth pointing out the the OP, IMO.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Your definition of what constitutes a first generation product differs from mine.

I could argue that you bought a rev a product of the iphone 3gs as it introduced a new cpu, and graphics among other things

An example of what I consititute a rev a product is akin to say the first core2duo mb. The next iteration still using the c2d chip with same platform would be a rev b. When they change the chip set, that would constitute a new rev product

Here is how I classify the iphone in terms of revisions
    iphone:rev a
    iphone 3g: rev b
    iphone 3gs: rev a again
    iphone 4: ?