Fears and Worries about iPad 3 Upgrade.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CHunger, Mar 6, 2012.

1. CHunger macrumors newbie

Fear and Worries about iPad 3 upgrade

I loved my first gen iPad, but since updating to ios 5, i am one of those unfortunates experiencing massive and relentless crashing, especially in Safari. I have read hundreds of pages in dozens of forums (google: iPad safari crashing) without finding a solution, or even an acknowledgement by Apple that a problem exists, let alone that a fix is on the way. The crashes usually -but not always- are on graphic intensive sites, and result in a "low memory" in the crash report.

I hoped to finesse the problem by getting an iPad 3 as soon as they are launched. BUT: now I fear that if there is some corrupted file or app or program at the heart of the problem, that I will be transferring it onto my new iPad when I set it up with my apps and data etc...and I could not bear that to happen.

What should I do? Please advise!

(And please excuse a possible double post- I am a noob)

2. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You may or may not see some relief with iOS 5.1.

But really, if concerned simply transfer your apps one at a time and see what happens. I don't think this is going to be an issue. Something in iOS 5 caused issues in many 1st gen iPads. Mine was totally ok until a week ago and now Safari is nearly unusable.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Out of curiousity, does your iPad have any cracks, chips, or dents anywhere on the body?

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I'm experiencing the same thing. If, I upgrade to iPad 3 I'm planning to to just set my iPad up as new and just redownload the apps that I want on the new one. Even though it hasn't gotten any better the half dozen times I've restored as new already, I remain hopeful that Apple has at least addressed this on the new iPad and not allow it to ship with this problem. I'm thing of waiting a week or two before I jump in just to see what problems are reported first.

Also, if I do upgrade to vs. 3, I will likely not upgrade iOS unless I seriously have too. Guess I'm a bit cautious about all this, but I can not upgrade my hardware every year... Btw, my iPad 1 is just now 1 year old, bought when Ipad 2 came out. I really wish Apple would fix this.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have no idea why there are crashes, but low memory is a big problem with the ipad 1, and the main reason why i upgraded to the ipad 2. apple seriously weakens these devices by giving them a teeny tiny bit of ram to play with. hopefully, the ipad 3 will come with at least a gb, and i can say goodbye to app crashes, especially with large pdfs.

8. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

While this may or may not work for resolving the iPad 1 issue, it will prevent any corrupt files or apps from transferring to your new iPad. Simply setup your new iPad as a new device, instead of restoring from backup. That will prevent any corrupted files from being transferred from device to device.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

i'll probably do this, because i like to start over with a clean slate. it just feels good :)

but, i doubt there are any corrupted files. at least, that seems unlikely to me.

10. CHunger, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

1- iOS 5.1 is not a solution for me, nor scads of others.

2- No bangs or damage of any kind at all to my iPad1

3- Restoring the old iPad1 as new doesn't work either for me or others..

4- If I set up the new iPad3 as new....won't I lose my settings and data etc?

(And a bonus question: how can I morally sell the iPad1 knowing this is a problem? (But please do not focus on this question in lieu of an answer to my main question, which is how safely to transfer to new iPad3))

And bless all of your hearts :)

EDIT: I meant iOS 5.01, but what is a decimal or two among friends? But please: won't setting my new ipad3 up as "new" lose all my data and settings? How do I transfer them to the new iPad 3, without the risk of transferring any corruption?

11. iphone4wanter macrumors member

I used my friends iPad 1 when I was at his house. It had iOS 5.0.1. OMG! It was so slow! Almost unusable. The App Store took forever to load and Safari was very slow and refreshed tabs frequently. I had the iPad 1 and it was perfectly fine. There must have been something really wrong with his.

12. i0Nic macrumors 65816

My fear is that the next iPad will be heavier than the iPad 2.

13. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

You do a factory restore, and advertise the the iPad as being a 2+ year old device that is not as fast as the new iPads being sold today; it'd be no different than selling an old computer. Anyone buying a computer manufactured in 2010 would understand it's not going to be as fast as the new one on sale at Best Buy. Good luck!

14. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

It probably will be, given the reportedly 1mm thicker body and larger battery to sustain the higher res display and LTE.

15. CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

I still need to know how to get my settings and data to my new ipad3 if I set it up as "new" in order to avoid the risk of tranfering bad files etc. from my old ipad1....

...come on, guys, I need step by step instructions: I am very noobish.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

First, you cannot actually be sure it's a corrupt file. I'd be willing to bet money on that all it is is a lack of RAM. Just restore the new iPad from your backup and see how it goes.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The solution is quite simple. Don't buy one until they've been out long enough for feedback to be posted in this forum. Once you have read about others experiences, you can decide for yourself.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The short answer is, there is no way to transfer the settings and data if you set up the iPad as "new." Some apps have ways of transferring data that does not involve recovering from a backup, but you'll have to figure it out app by app, as each app does things differently.

But I'd do what the previous poster suggested, and restore the new iPad from the old iPad's backup. If the problems you are having with your current iPad persist, then you can see about setting up the new iPad as "new."