Fears of "the switch"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GFocker, Jan 15, 2008.

1. GFocker macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, long time lurker(also long time windows user) here. I'm 99% sure im going to be making the leap to mac this week, and most likely starting with whatever this fancy thin notebook is announced later today. However, I was hoping for some advice on software as well, as I know absolutely nothing about the lineup offered other than the mainstream titles.
    I'm in college, about to go to nursing school but I use my computer for so much more. I would require a great notetaking program simliar to onenote, so advice on that would be much appriciated. Also, I will be using itunes and maybe an apple tv if it will play hdtv files. But mainly im just looking for any good study or notetaking related software titles. I don't have a computer at the moment, but I will do my best to reply to every response and I certainly appriciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Could you expand on what you mean by 'notetaking software'? To me, something like Microsoft Word or Apple's own 'Pages' would be the best choice.. but I don't know exactly what your needs are. Both are very good word processors, and Pages especially will allow you to creat extremely beautiful documents with very little effort on your part.

The great thing about Macs is that they come with an incredible suite of software, stock. I would recommend adding iWork www.apple.com/iwork to the computer... but other than that, you should be good. If you need something specific, come back to MacRumors (or one of any number of related communities) and ask your question... someone will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Office 2004 had a good note taking feature so I imagine Office 2008 will have the same thing. You can also make notes in Apple Mail.

4. Castaway macrumors newbie

Castaway

Take a look at Circus Ponies' NoteBook. One of the major reasons why I went Mac. Check out the video tour on their site.

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

What are you using the Notebook for? I bought a license some time ago but could not bring myself to using the program on a daily basis.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wow. While not as initially as visually intuitive as OneNote was for me, after watching the video demonstrations, I think this is going to kick OneNote's butt (at least for what I need to use it for!) :)

7. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

When it integrates with my iPhone I will buy it.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Just so I'm not missing anything, nothing currently integrates with the iPhone, right?

9. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

10. Angrist macrumors 6502

I'd be very careful with "notetaking software". My experience in school as an engineer (6th year, PhD now, laptop for 4 of them) is that most of the time having a computer in class is just a distraction. Granted, equations and free body diagrams don't lend themselves to a non-tablet computer, but even in Philosophy type classes a computer isn't as great of a tool as you'd hope.

In the few instances when I do take notes with my laptop, I use WriteRoom for distraction free typing.

11. GFocker thread starter macrumors newbie

Onenote is a windows office program for taking and organizing notes, documents, images, etc etc. It did a pretty good job of it, but I'm pretty sure its not available for mac yet.

12. GFocker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!! This type of software was exactly what I was looking for! Based on the video samples this looks to be even more impressive than one note.

13. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I see. Perhaps this would also be a good option:
    http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/overview.html