Feasible to store photo library on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KettyKrueger, Jun 13, 2012.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi all,

I've just bought an iPad. I plan to buy a mac mini as a hub too and also to organise my photos with iphoto, as I have done for years.

I'd like to edit my photos on my iPad but as I understand it, there is currently no way to sync my iPhoto library to a mac with iPhoto.

That got me thinking. Could I just start over my photo library on the iPad? Can anyone think of any potential problems? iPhoto for iOS retains originals, right?

Thanks for your input.

Regards, KK

2. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Are you all sorted for adding photos with the camera connection kit?

4. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Agreed, the stock photo app is a joke. All photos get thrown into "camera roll" and when you make a new folder to transfer photos over it doesn't xfer them at all, instead it makes a shortcut to the camera roll section, so the minute you delete x photo under camera roll it will also delete it from any album you put it in.

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't bought the CCK yet, was planning on it. But I can't see myself using my point and shoot for a lot longer. I'm hoping the iPhone 5 will take care my photography needs. I'm a simple guy!

I was planning on using iPhoto. I'm very impressed with it so far, but as I mentioned in my first post, there's no way to sync back to Mac.

Thanks again

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You mean you can't directly import to them via CCK? You can - you'll only need to additionally import the files from Camera Roll to the third-party app. (It's some taps in PMP.)

8. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I meant like iPhoto keeps the original and modified file, invisible to the user. Using your method, do you manually keep originals? On a card or drive?

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Do you also want to edit your photos? In PMP, you can create a backup copy of the photo you want to edit (NB. the editing capabilities of PMP are basic: crop and rotation.) Just tap Edit > select the photo you want to modify later > Actions > Copy to; then, select the target folder you want to store the backup copy in.

10. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yeah I do. That's what attracted me to iPhoto.

I would ideally like to start my photo collection fr scratch. Import all my photos, edit them, etc.

I just want to make sure iPhoto retains the original. But I suppose there's no way to directly access the originals, like in iPhoto is osx?

11. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

If you just copy the image from the stock Photos app to another album before editing, then, the copy won't be effected when you export back from iPhoto to the Camera Roll.

12. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure about that. I just want iphoto on iOS to act in the same way as iPhoto on a Mac. I might just wait for Apple to release an update for iPhoto on ios sync albums back to iphoto on OSX.