Feather or Air Jacket?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hsk, Jul 23, 2009.

1. hsk macrumors regular

I am having a time with cases, but have decided to go thin. I can get the Air Jacket right away at the Apple store but it looks like the black Feather is on backorder everywhere. Anyone had both? Read some reviews on Apple.com about the AJ - folks said the matte finish came off pretty quick.

Also - should I also go with the Crystal screen protector? I really like the 3GS screen, but with a thin snap-on case, I feel like I might need a little something more on top.

2. V4705 macrumors 6502

3. lavinci macrumors 6502

I ditched my air jacket today for a Best Skins Ever back skin.

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I was an air jacket user for 6 months. Go with the black feather. The air Jacket Is nice but the feather has a better finish, and it will give you slightly more bezel protection. It will also wrap around the top of the phone where the air jacket does not. The feather feels trimmer. And i've dropped my feather from 5 feet and it took the impact without damaging the phone.

The air jacket is nice, they r sending me a new one after the finish wore off the outside of my old one. But... It won't give u as much bezel protection and the materials it's made of are more prone to shattering on impact.

My cases of choice:
    black feather
    iskin solo
    air jacket

in that order :)

5. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I have looked at the Solo also - maybe I'll just go ahead and buy both the Feather and the Solo!

6. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Now I am looking at the Innocase II also - it seems to be really thin and I like the fact that it has the cut-out for the logo and the new ones have a clear cover for protection of the silver Apple.

Maybe I'll go Innocase and Solo.....gez, now I understand why cases can be a hobby as much as apps!

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'd also recommend iFrogz Luxe cases, that's the one I've been using, they're thin yet provides protection.

8. musashino macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a THIN and CLEAR case, the best I can find is the air jacket. I bought it a month ago, love it. Love the crystal screen protector too.

If only there is a clear feather...:D

9. oyebto macrumors regular

my clear airjacket turned yellow after a month of usage... will most likely get a feather.

10. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Quick question for those of you with air jackets with problems(like yellowing or peeling): When did you buy yours? I'm trying to see if it's not an issue with the newer ones, because it seems it might have been just the older runs.

I myself have been using one for a week and love it. I was using a slider for the longest time, but went naked because I hated the bulk, then opted for this. Its matte black matches my MacBook, it's slim, it doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the iPhone, and it doesn't have some cheesy brand logo ruining it(I'm looking at you Incipio). Though if someone out there made a matte black housing(like the leaked images), I'd get that instead. I don't really care about shock protection on my phone too much because I like how it looks, I just don't want it to be slippery or prone to scratches when I set it down.

If you want more protection, don't mind having a contrasting logo on your case, the Feather is probably better than the Air Jacket. The material and finish is nice, it completely wraps around the top unlike the Air Jacket, and it still manages to keep the iPhone looking sleek. So why don't I use the Feather myself? That damn ugly logo on the back. Why couldn't they engrave it or something else?

11. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I have both the black and clear. Bought the clear at the Apple Store back in September, never had a coloring problem just heavy scratches. Bought the black one end of March, started peeling like crazy at the corners a few weeks later. I still love its minimal design, but they look horrible after a short time.

12. JVV33 macrumors newbie

I've also owned both. I liked the Feather for its fit and detail & the Air Jacket for the quality and ease of taking on/off.

One major downfall of both is that while they protect the back they both allow dust to creep in through the crevasses of the front/side, which then causes scratches on the chrome bezel. I kept it my in my front pocket and after about a month or two the back of the phone was pristine, but the bezel was sandblasted. Seriously :(

I'd go with a clear shield such as InvisibleShield, BestSkins, Bodyguardz, etc. I have an I.S. that I got installed at one of their kiosks at the mall, also Best Buy I hear installs them too. Cheers:apple:

13. hsk thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, took the Reveal off yesterday and I am getting used to the "nekked" version now. Was thinking about a skin, but did not want to install it myself. I'll check out some of the local vendors like Best Buy. I really don't expect it to stay pristine forever, I am really looking for something to help the "grippiness" factor.