Feature compare for OS 3.0 with iPhone/iPod touch? What's missing? Voice rec and?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ss4rob, Jun 13, 2009.

1. ss4rob macrumors newbie

So I was looking at the iPhone features for 3.0 here:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
    And the iPod touch features for 3.0 here:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html
    Obviously things like MMS and tethering won't make the jump, and I can kinda understand MobileMe Find my iPod touch/Remote Wipe not being there, but I don't specifically see listed Voice Recorder, Improved Calendar, Enhanced Stocks and YouTube login. All of these things are perfectly suitable for a 2G iPod touch, but I'm guessing Apple is neutering them just like they did with Google Maps. Anyone have 3.0 loaded that can confirm the existence of these features? Also, does Google Maps have Street View or Latitude now? Thanks!

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I have 3.0 loaded on my iPod touch 2G. Stocks, youtube, calendar are all enhanced. The new iTunes store with movie downloads is there. In fact, I just rented a movie on my iPod. And, most surprising, find my iPhone works with the iPod Touch. (I have mobileme). Voice recorder is there, but you need the external mic on a 2G iPod Touch. Google maps has street view and different types of directions (public transportation, walking, driving)

3. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

There are probably more things not on that site. They just kind of highlighted some of the more important ones.

4. Dino451 macrumors 6502

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

6. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Like 11 pages now for apps instead of the previous 9.

7. qacjared macrumors regular

3.0 has shake to shuffle and Street View in the Maps App. It's well worth it.

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I was looking forward to shake to shuffle thinking that it would be great to use if you wanted to quickly skip a song without having to interact with the touch screen but it only works if the screen is active\unlocked and the music app is open, seems kind of pointless.

9. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

True that. And it drains the battery as well. Might as well press the Next button. And it shuffles your entire library instead of staying in your Playlist/Album/Genre. Just another pointless gimmick imho. That's one of the Nano features I turned off after a month.

Would probably be slightly useful if you use your heavy touch while jogging/gym. I'm guessing you could get around the screen active/unlock dilemma: double quick press the home button and shake. Beats looking down to press Next I guess.

Still a pointless gimmick. I forsee lots of touches flying out of grasps due to its heft. :D

10. Dino451 macrumors 6502

My Favorite feature is street view. I would like the bluetooth feature but I have nothing to test it with(headphones). Connects to my PC though.

11. ss4rob thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to sound too cynical but this surprises me that Apple has been so giving with this release being last time they gypped us touch users a bit, heh. Thanks for squashing my fears, looking forward now to getting the update on the 17th!

12. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I have 3.0 and I seriously can't find street view on my google maps. I don't know what's wrong with me :confused: :(

13. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

You need to drop a pin where you want to use street view and then press the little icon to the left of the pin tag.

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

And that did it! Thanks so much :D