Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
The feature of unlocking your mac with another apple device was active before WWDC

Been using it for a while now

The app MACID uses that feature to unlock my MBP

I can unlock it with TouchID when I'm close since it uses bluetooth to detect its me.

You can do so much more with that app including copying clipboard and sending it to your MAC

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yes there are many apps that allow different forms of unlocking your computer from using iphones, to webcam facial recognition unlocks.
This feature is going to be native to the OS soon without the need 3rd party apps.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The OP is talking about using an app to unlock a Mac with iPhone Touch ID. I don't have an Apple Watch, so if the built-in OS feature requires one it might as well not exist to me.
This feature is going to be native to the OS soon without the need 3rd party apps.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The OP is talking about using an app to unlock a Mac with iPhone Touch ID. I don't have an Apple Watch, so if the built-in OS feature requires one it might as well not exist to me.
We won't know until the dev previews get further along.

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
This feature doesn't need you to have a Apple watch.

In my opinion i think the Apple watch is useless

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I like MacID. And at this point, it is more feature rich and useable, than the new "Auto-unlock" feature currently limited to the Apple Watch. I would like to see native support expand to other iOS devices with the public release of Sierra. I don't see why the iPhone couldn't be included. If, for some reason it isn't, I will keep rockin' MacID.

Reactions: furbzv1

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
This feature doesn't need you to have a Apple watch.

In my opinion i think the Apple watch is useless

It has one very useful feature that I am aware of, although I do not own one and do not plan it. I use my Tag Heuer for that already, and it is much less maintenance. (Every time we have a month with less than 31 days, I have to set the date number. I usually rub with it hand soap in the shower as well, and move around in a normal manner to charge it.)

Now, what is the very useful feature of the the Apple Watch? You can easily check the time, without taking out your iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.