Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
I like to use Mail.app rules to move incoming emails into individual mailboxes. The rules work fine, but "notifications" don't seem to be working correctly now.

If I get a new email addressed to anyone of the 4 email addresses I have that does NOT fit into any of the rules, it appears in the notification center and the message counter shows up on the Mail icon in the Dock.

But, if a new email comes in and a rule moves it to one of my other mailboxes all I get is the new email audible - nothing in the notification center nor message count on the Dock icon.

Because of this I have missed several incoming emails when I had my volume turned down.

Solution: This thread got few responses, but a lot of views so I thought I bring it back and post the real solution. This is actually a "feature" which is editable by the user.
Mail > Preferences > General: Change the "New Message Notifications:" to "All Mailboxes"

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I'm the opposite. Some mails - like facebook notifications - annoyingly spammed my NC so I made the rule to move it to specific folder. The way it works now is working great for me.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
I'm the opposite. Some mails - like facebook notifications - annoyingly spammed my NC so I made the rule to move it to specific folder. The way it works now is working great for me.

Well at least I know I'm not the only one seeing the behavior. Would be nice if each mailbox (folder) had an option for NC.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Would really like some feedback on this in regards to this action being a "bug" or "feature".

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Check out Settings > General. You can change what dock unread count will do as well as the notifications. There are some options like Inbox, VIP, etc. If you create a smart mailbox and insert a new rule for any of the mailboxes you want to be notified about you can then use that smart mailbox for both the dock unread count and notification centre.

I like this setup because I can have notifications about new mails in folders that are not that important and be alarmed by sound when new messages in important mailbox(es) arrive. Same thing with the dock count which is nice with mailboxes where you receive messages from a mailing list.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks dyn I wasn't using "smart mailboxes" so I'll check those out. I sure hope I can get it working like you described - that would be near perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.